Crime and Safety, News

Police-involved shooting near campus causes traffic delays

Update, Feb. 15:  The suspect has been identified as 21-year-old Richard Grissom-Rodgers. Rodgers was charged with aggravated assault of an officer, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, premeditated murder in the first degree, grand theft of a vehicle, resisting an officer with violence, fleeing police after an incident and driving with a suspended license. A judge denied him bond. 

An investigation is underway into a police-involved shooting that happened across from the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus around 6:45 p.m. tonight.

Coral Gables Police Department (CGPD) Public Information Officer Kelly Denham said in a press briefing that an automatic license plate reader identified a stolen vehicle traveling southbound on US1. CGPD Officers surrounded the vehicle and the suspect crossed over through the lot between US1 and Ponce de Leon Blvd, and attempted to hit an officer. That was when the officer fired his weapon. The suspect was not struck by the bullet.

The suspect hit two other vehicles while heading west on Ponce de Leon, then exited his vehicle and fled on foot into the Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field on San Amaro Drive, inside the university’s campus. Officers pursued him on foot and were able to apprehend him without incident, Denham said. The suspect is now in custody but no additional information about the robbery preceding the incident in Coral Gables has been released.

University of Miami police officers were involved, she said, as they operate under CGPD. The university sent out an alert on its Emergency Notification Network about 20 mins. after the incident first occurred.

“Police activity in the southeast section of campus. No threat to life safety. Avoid the area,” the notification read.

The incident caused closures and traffic delays on Ponce de Leon between South Alhambra Circle and San Amaro Drive, on the southbound right lane of US1 and on Brescia Avenue across from the baseball stadium.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Jackie Yang and Tommy Fletcher contributed to this report.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...