Basketball, Sports

Keyona Hayes tallies 1,000 career points, Hurricanes defeat Virginia Cavaliers 63-52

Keyona Hayes eclipsed 1,000 career points, joining seniors Jessica Thomas and Adrienne Motley as the second trio of 1,000-point scorers in the history of the University of Miami. The only other trio – consisting of Kym Hope, Cassaundra Wimes, and Jennifer Jordan – pulled off the feat during the 1998-99 season.

“It was a goal for me coming in as a freshman,” Hayes said.

Coming off a loss to Florida State, Miami basketball got back on track by defeating Virginia 63-52 on Thursday night in the Watsco Center.

Senior Hayes led the way for the No. 16 Hurricanes, finishing with a double-double of 14 points and a season-high 13 rebounds. The starting backcourt of Thomas and Motley combined for 15 points in the victory.

“The thousand points for the three seniors is just so special,” Miami Coach Katie Meier said. “It’s just been a heck of a journey with these three, and they’re doing such a great job in their last opportunities.”

The Canes (18-6, 7-5 ACC) started off strong, jumping out to a 10-2 run right off the bat. They never looked back, holding the lead for the entire game.

UM’s 1-3-1 full-court press frustrated Virginia (15-9, 4-7 ACC) throughout the first half. The Canes used a trapping zone-defense in the half-court early on, suffocating the Cavalier offense. The match-up defense the Hurricanes employed later in the half was even more effective, limiting the Cavaliers to just six second-quarter points. Virginia shot just 8–25 from the field in the first half, turning the ball over 15 times.

Miami was able to find gaps in Virginia’s 2-3 zone, leading to 21 first-quarter points on 10–19 shooting. UM would take a 26-18 lead into the half.

The Canes picked up where they left off early in the third, bringing the score to 35-24. The Cavaliers brought the margin to five, but Hayes responded by scoring six straight to end the third.

“I was really pleased with the effort in our third quarter,” Meier said.

In the final frame, the Hurricanes continued to be the aggressors, taking a 15-point lead late. Virginia mounted a spirited comeback, giving Miami a brief scare. Meier was frustrated with her team’s sloppiness down the stretch, especially on the defensive end.

“We had such a great defensive effort, and for [the Cavaliers]to only have 31 going into the fourth, and get 21 in the fourth, that’s ridiculous,” Meier said.

The Canes were outrebounded 18-11 in the final frame, allowing the Cavaliers second-chance opportunities in the closing minutes.

Despite UM’s late struggles, it was too little, too late for Virginia. Miami never trailed, powered by a defense that held Virginia to just 34 percent shooting on the night.

Lior Kozai

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Manny Diaz’s first spring as the coach of the Miami Hurricanes is in the books, and he finished it o ...

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...