Crime and Safety, News

Wellness Center evacuated after suspicious device found

Students were evacuated from the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center Friday night as a precaution after a suspicious device was found inside the building.
Employees of the Wellness Center were informed of the existence of the device after it began making a sound, said Peter Howard, Assistant Vice President for Communications and Public Relations at UM. Visitors to the Wellness Center were instructed to evacuate at approximately 8 p.m., Howard said.
Around 8:20 p.m., the university sent out an Emergency Notification Network (ENN) alert notifying UM students of the discovery and evacuation.

Among those being removed from the center were students participating in Sports Fest, the University of Miami’s annual sporting contest where students living in each residential college compete against one another. Many of the sporting competitions, scheduled throughout the weekend, are held at the Wellness Center and IM fields.
Ariadna Marrero, a commuter student, was waiting for the next round of soccer matches to begin when she said she and her teammates were told to leave the facility. Marrero said the staff evacuating them did not give them a reason, but said she had friends working at the center at the time of the event who said they heard the device make a “beeping sound.”
As a result of the potential threat, UM and Coral Gables Police Department vehicles barricaded all entry points to the surrounding areas of the Wellness Center, including the main entrances to Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. Students attempting to enter the dorms were directed to enter through the back, via the Stanford-Hecht bridge. Both Walsh Ave. and Dickinson Drive were closed off to traffic. The Miami-Dade Bomb Squad was also on scene.
At 10:02 p.m., the university sent out another alert notifying students the scene had been cleared and the Wellness Center would re-open in the morning on Feb 11.
There were no injuries reported.
Late night dining at Hecht and Stanford Dining Hall has been cancelled for the night.

Update, 12:19 p.m. , Feb. 11, 2017: Howard confirmed the suspicious device found inside the Wellness Center on Feb. 10 was an insulin pump. The pump was inside a trash can and created a sound as a result of a low battery.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...