Crime and Safety, News

Wellness Center evacuated after suspicious device found

Students were evacuated from the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center Friday night as a precaution after a suspicious device was found inside the building.
Employees of the Wellness Center were informed of the existence of the device after it began making a sound, said Peter Howard, Assistant Vice President for Communications and Public Relations at UM. Visitors to the Wellness Center were instructed to evacuate at approximately 8 p.m., Howard said.
Around 8:20 p.m., the university sent out an Emergency Notification Network (ENN) alert notifying UM students of the discovery and evacuation.

Among those being removed from the center were students participating in Sports Fest, the University of Miami’s annual sporting contest where students living in each residential college compete against one another. Many of the sporting competitions, scheduled throughout the weekend, are held at the Wellness Center and IM fields.
Ariadna Marrero, a commuter student, was waiting for the next round of soccer matches to begin when she said she and her teammates were told to leave the facility. Marrero said the staff evacuating them did not give them a reason, but said she had friends working at the center at the time of the event who said they heard the device make a “beeping sound.”
As a result of the potential threat, UM and Coral Gables Police Department vehicles barricaded all entry points to the surrounding areas of the Wellness Center, including the main entrances to Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. Students attempting to enter the dorms were directed to enter through the back, via the Stanford-Hecht bridge. Both Walsh Ave. and Dickinson Drive were closed off to traffic. The Miami-Dade Bomb Squad was also on scene.
At 10:02 p.m., the university sent out another alert notifying students the scene had been cleared and the Wellness Center would re-open in the morning on Feb 11.
There were no injuries reported.
Late night dining at Hecht and Stanford Dining Hall has been cancelled for the night.

Update, 12:19 p.m. , Feb. 11, 2017: Howard confirmed the suspicious device found inside the Wellness Center on Feb. 10 was an insulin pump. The pump was inside a trash can and created a sound as a result of a low battery.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...