Uncertain future for US–Russian relations

During his campaign for presidency, Donald Trump proposed a more positive shift in U.S. relations with Russia, following years of complex political tension. However, the Trump administration’s potential business interests may influence the already uncertain relationship between the United States and Russia.

During Trump’s second week in office, Vice President Mike Pence alluded to the possibility of the White House lifting sanctions against Russia in the coming months. The sanctions, implemented largely in response to the Crimean crisis during the Obama administration, have had tremendous consequences on Russia’s economic, technological and militaristic outlooks — as well as negative consequences for U.S. companies looking to broker deals abroad.

Although the newly appointed U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, took advantage of her first appearance in the chamber to deliver a hawkish speech against Russia’s actions in eastern Ukraine, many can’t help but doubt the presence of full executive concurrence. This ambiguity is especially strong in light of President Trump’s apparent intention to form a more amicable relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The personal benefits that Trump and his cabinet members alike would enjoy from such a diplomatic partnership also raise questions about the Trump administration’s full support of Nikki Haley’s speech.

While the White House has cited joint efforts against the Islamic State as the primary motivation behind a closer relationship with Russia, it is impossible to disregard the millions of dollars that Exxon Mobile, and, by extension, Former CEO turned Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would have to gain from lifting the sanctions, which have lost the company up to $1 billion since Russia’s annexation of Crimea. Tillerson reportedly proposed maintaining “the status quo” in regards to the pre-existing sanctions against Russia, though he has consistently refused to offer his support for the additional sanctions President Obama already authorized, instead shifting conversation to the need to engage with Russia through alternative means.

Oil, along with other business and economic ventures, may continue to shape the diplomatic ties at the foundation of the global order. While the new administration is clearly more in favor of positive relations between the United States and Russia than its predecessor, only time will tell if we are headed toward a future of true political and economic alliance with the Kremlin.

Elizabeth Strack is a junior majoring in political science and English literature.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Bryan Jones

Elizabeth Strack

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...