Trump’s threat towards UC Berkeley threatens academic freedom

Earlier this week, amid protests at UC Berkeley directed toward an appearance by Breitbart News editor Milo Yiannopoulous, President Trump tweeted, “If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view – NO FEDERAL FUNDS?” Regardless of whether you view the protests at UC Berkeley as a free speech issue, the last part of Trump’s tweet is truly concerning. The suggestion that a president would withhold funds from an institution of higher learning on the basis of a political opinion threatens the very existence of American democracy.

The ability of our nation’s colleges and universities to exercise academic freedom is a fundamental element of our democracy. It ensures that American youths are exposed to a plethora of ideas and perspectives without government interference. Colleges and universities rely on government funding to operate. Thus, the government could potentially use such funding as leverage to push its own agenda. While Trump’s tweet may seem minimal and specific, it can open the door to broader government intervention. What would occur if certain Republicans next wanted to withhold funding from schools that teach evolution? Though this hypothetical may seem far-fetched, should President Trump go through with his threat, it could set a precedent for such government influence.

Some argue that UC Berkeley has strayed from its mission to welcome a variety of perspectives and Trump is simply holding the university accountable. This is an understandable argument, but it is the responsibility of the leadership at UC Berkeley, not the president, to resolve the issue. Federal intervention could set a destructive precedent. There has been talk throughout and since the election with regard to President Trump’s reputation as a demagogue with dictator-like ambitions. Many of these claims were exaggerated and lacked sufficient evidence.

However, there is something to be said for the historical trend of dictators intervening in education. A dictator’s first step to solidify power is often through the restriction of academic freedom in order to push an agenda with less resistance. I am not suggesting that this is President Trump’s first step toward becoming a dictator, but, if put into action, his threat would undoubtedly begin a slippery slope for the weakening of a key element of American democracy: academic freedom.

Ryan Steinberg is a freshman majoring in political science.

Ryan Steinberg

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...