Basketball, Sports

Five Hurricanes score in double figures, Miami triumphs over Virginia Tech 74-68

University of Miami basketball has struggled during conference play to put together a consistent second-half run to fend off opponents. Now, it has done it in back-to-back games.

After Virginia Tech climbed back from a second-half deficit to tie the game at 47 with 13:46 remaining, Miami bolted to an 18–2 run, giving life to the crowd at the Watsco Center and ultimately allowing the Hurricanes to defeat the Hokies 74-68.

“That was the difference in the ball game,” Hurricanes Coach Jim Larrañaga said. “It was tied and then all of a sudden, we had the lead. It was all due to getting stops.”

During the run, six different Canes hit shots while forcing the Hokies to commit five turnovers. Miami (16-7, 6-5 ACC) finished with four different players in double figures.

Senior co-captain Davon Reed led UM with 18 points and dished out a season-high six assists. Junior guard Ja’Quan Newton added 16 points, Anthony Lawrence had 12 off the bench and Kamari Murphy chipped in 10.

“It’s always a grudge match when we play them, no matter where it’s at,” Reed said. “I didn’t realize we were tied for eighth [in the ACC standings], but any win in the ACC, home or away, is a chance to advance in the league. It’s good to finally get two in a row after winning one, losing one, winning one.”

Miami went on a 9–0 run over the last 90 seconds of the first half. Back-to-back triples by Reed and Lawrence, followed by a three-point play for Newton gave the Canes a 40-34 advantage heading into the intermission.

Coming out of the break, Virginia Tech (16-7, 5-6 ACC) answered back. After the Hurricanes scored the first three points of the half, the Hokies went on a 13–4 run capped off by a three-point play by Ahmed Hill, leveling the game up at 47-47.

From there, Miami put the game out of reach and held on down the stretch.

Although the Canes allowed five different Hokies to score in double figures, UM prevailed by forcing 15 turnovers.

“We had too many mistakes, particularly in the second half,” Virginia Tech Coach Buzz Williams said. “A turnover against Miami is almost assured of a basket. A blocked shot by Miami is almost assured of a basket.”

The Canes improve to 11-2 at home this season. Up next, Miami travels to face No. 4 Louisville at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Josh White

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...