Basketball, Sports

Five Hurricanes score in double figures, Miami triumphs over Virginia Tech 74-68

University of Miami basketball has struggled during conference play to put together a consistent second-half run to fend off opponents. Now, it has done it in back-to-back games.

After Virginia Tech climbed back from a second-half deficit to tie the game at 47 with 13:46 remaining, Miami bolted to an 18–2 run, giving life to the crowd at the Watsco Center and ultimately allowing the Hurricanes to defeat the Hokies 74-68.

“That was the difference in the ball game,” Hurricanes Coach Jim Larrañaga said. “It was tied and then all of a sudden, we had the lead. It was all due to getting stops.”

During the run, six different Canes hit shots while forcing the Hokies to commit five turnovers. Miami (16-7, 6-5 ACC) finished with four different players in double figures.

Senior co-captain Davon Reed led UM with 18 points and dished out a season-high six assists. Junior guard Ja’Quan Newton added 16 points, Anthony Lawrence had 12 off the bench and Kamari Murphy chipped in 10.

“It’s always a grudge match when we play them, no matter where it’s at,” Reed said. “I didn’t realize we were tied for eighth [in the ACC standings], but any win in the ACC, home or away, is a chance to advance in the league. It’s good to finally get two in a row after winning one, losing one, winning one.”

Miami went on a 9–0 run over the last 90 seconds of the first half. Back-to-back triples by Reed and Lawrence, followed by a three-point play for Newton gave the Canes a 40-34 advantage heading into the intermission.

Coming out of the break, Virginia Tech (16-7, 5-6 ACC) answered back. After the Hurricanes scored the first three points of the half, the Hokies went on a 13–4 run capped off by a three-point play by Ahmed Hill, leveling the game up at 47-47.

From there, Miami put the game out of reach and held on down the stretch.

Although the Canes allowed five different Hokies to score in double figures, UM prevailed by forcing 15 turnovers.

“We had too many mistakes, particularly in the second half,” Virginia Tech Coach Buzz Williams said. “A turnover against Miami is almost assured of a basket. A blocked shot by Miami is almost assured of a basket.”

The Canes improve to 11-2 at home this season. Up next, Miami travels to face No. 4 Louisville at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Josh White

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...