Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘Imperial Dreams’ impresses with family theme, falls flat with plot

“Imperial Dreams,” a Netflix-original movie, depicts the struggle of a man trying to provide for his family while pursuing his dreams of being a writer and avoiding returning to a life of crime. Photo courtesy Netflix

Netflix is known for some of the best original television that’s never actually been on TV. But with “Imperial Dreams,” the streaming service has proven once again that its original-film game is also a force to be reckoned with. Starring John Boyega of “Star Wars” fame, this 2014 Sundance film is a piece of subtle, emotional and familial storytelling that is well-deserving of the stage it’s been given.

“Imperial Dreams” revolves around a young father named Bambi (John Boyega), who is fresh out of prison, and his struggle to provide a proper life for his son Day (Ethan and Justin Coach) without sinking back into the life of crime he once knew in Watts, Los Angeles. With Samaara, the mother of his child (Keke Palmer), locked up, Bambi is torn between the uphill climb of finding a legitimate job and the easy money of driving a car filled with painkillers across state lines for his Uncle Shrimp (Glenn Plummer). His refusal to do the latter gets him and his son kicked out of Uncle Shrimp’s house, forcing them to live in Bambi’s car.

Bambi’s dreams of becoming a writer make for a beautiful window into the pain that comes with the realities of poverty and violence, described in his notebook as the “cruelest of prisons, the most unusual of punishments.” Through the eyes of Bambi, his son Day, his brother Wayne (Rotimi), his drug-addicted mother Tanya (Kellita Smith) and his violence-stricken cousin Gideon (De’aundre Bonds), director Malik Vitthal paints a stark portrait of this brutal environment, with every shot fired, arrest made and insult hurled pounding the sad truths home.

The performances in “Imperial Dreams” are vivid, with John Boyega and Glenn Plummer leading the pack in terms of impressiveness. However, the contributions of every single actor and actress make this film feel less like a vignette and more like a realistic representation of a story playing out right now in cities across America.

Where the movie begins to struggle is plot. While the sequence of events begins in a way that is simple, straightforward and punchy, things begin to get diluted as the story trudges on, making for a few loose ends and a sense that 90 minutes may not have been quite long enough to tell this particular tale.

All things considered, “Imperial Dreams” is a touching, powerful and enjoyable exploration of a man’s relationship with his son, his family and his predicament. Tied together by a distinct score from hip-hop producer and Los Angeles native Flying Lotus, the film makes up for most of its plot missteps with great performances and gorgeous, gritty textures.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Jon Vilardi

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...