Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘Imperial Dreams’ impresses with family theme, falls flat with plot

“Imperial Dreams,” a Netflix-original movie, depicts the struggle of a man trying to provide for his family while pursuing his dreams of being a writer and avoiding returning to a life of crime. Photo courtesy Netflix

Netflix is known for some of the best original television that’s never actually been on TV. But with “Imperial Dreams,” the streaming service has proven once again that its original-film game is also a force to be reckoned with. Starring John Boyega of “Star Wars” fame, this 2014 Sundance film is a piece of subtle, emotional and familial storytelling that is well-deserving of the stage it’s been given.

“Imperial Dreams” revolves around a young father named Bambi (John Boyega), who is fresh out of prison, and his struggle to provide a proper life for his son Day (Ethan and Justin Coach) without sinking back into the life of crime he once knew in Watts, Los Angeles. With Samaara, the mother of his child (Keke Palmer), locked up, Bambi is torn between the uphill climb of finding a legitimate job and the easy money of driving a car filled with painkillers across state lines for his Uncle Shrimp (Glenn Plummer). His refusal to do the latter gets him and his son kicked out of Uncle Shrimp’s house, forcing them to live in Bambi’s car.

Bambi’s dreams of becoming a writer make for a beautiful window into the pain that comes with the realities of poverty and violence, described in his notebook as the “cruelest of prisons, the most unusual of punishments.” Through the eyes of Bambi, his son Day, his brother Wayne (Rotimi), his drug-addicted mother Tanya (Kellita Smith) and his violence-stricken cousin Gideon (De’aundre Bonds), director Malik Vitthal paints a stark portrait of this brutal environment, with every shot fired, arrest made and insult hurled pounding the sad truths home.

The performances in “Imperial Dreams” are vivid, with John Boyega and Glenn Plummer leading the pack in terms of impressiveness. However, the contributions of every single actor and actress make this film feel less like a vignette and more like a realistic representation of a story playing out right now in cities across America.

Where the movie begins to struggle is plot. While the sequence of events begins in a way that is simple, straightforward and punchy, things begin to get diluted as the story trudges on, making for a few loose ends and a sense that 90 minutes may not have been quite long enough to tell this particular tale.

All things considered, “Imperial Dreams” is a touching, powerful and enjoyable exploration of a man’s relationship with his son, his family and his predicament. Tied together by a distinct score from hip-hop producer and Los Angeles native Flying Lotus, the film makes up for most of its plot missteps with great performances and gorgeous, gritty textures.

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Jon Vilardi

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...