Sports, Tennis

Miami finishes strong to beat Troy University 6-1

After a defeat to North Florida last week, the University of Miami noticeably came out with more competitive fervor against Troy on Saturday afternoon. The Hurricanes took a commanding 6-1 victory to improve to 2-1 on the year.

“We executed under pressure,” Hurricanes Coach Aljosa Piric said.  “We just played a little tougher during the critical points.”

The Canes started the day by dominating in doubles play. Jesse Flores and Max Andrews won 6-1, and the tandem of Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark was victorious 6-2.

Lomacki led the way in singles competition with tight 6-3, 6-4 victories.

“I did not feel too comfortable out on the court today,” Lomacki said. “I definitely didn’t play my best, but I played with what I had in order to win.”

Christian Langmo struggled early against the speedy Hassan Ndayishimiye but was able to come back and take his match.

“I came out a little bit slow, but I came out in the second set, lifted my energy up and lifted my game up,” Langmo said.

The biggest moment of the match came when Max Andrews found himself trailing in the first-set tiebreaker 5-3 against Troy’s Mustafa Belcora. After settling down and winning three-straight points to claim a 6-5 lead, Andrews ran down an overhead shot and lobbed the ball over the head of Belcora, who was unable to return it, to seal the victory. Andrews would go on to win the second set 6-1 to take the match.

“What I liked about Max was that he was able to really settle into patterns and not give [the opponent]anything at that point,” Piric said.

Troy’s only point came when Amer Bedwan defeated Dane Dunlap in three sets.

Miami tennis will next host Mississippi State at 3 p.m. on Friday.

Wyatt Geller

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...