Sports, Tennis

Miami finishes strong to beat Troy University 6-1

After a defeat to North Florida last week, the University of Miami noticeably came out with more competitive fervor against Troy on Saturday afternoon. The Hurricanes took a commanding 6-1 victory to improve to 2-1 on the year.

“We executed under pressure,” Hurricanes Coach Aljosa Piric said.  “We just played a little tougher during the critical points.”

The Canes started the day by dominating in doubles play. Jesse Flores and Max Andrews won 6-1, and the tandem of Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark was victorious 6-2.

Lomacki led the way in singles competition with tight 6-3, 6-4 victories.

“I did not feel too comfortable out on the court today,” Lomacki said. “I definitely didn’t play my best, but I played with what I had in order to win.”

Christian Langmo struggled early against the speedy Hassan Ndayishimiye but was able to come back and take his match.

“I came out a little bit slow, but I came out in the second set, lifted my energy up and lifted my game up,” Langmo said.

The biggest moment of the match came when Max Andrews found himself trailing in the first-set tiebreaker 5-3 against Troy’s Mustafa Belcora. After settling down and winning three-straight points to claim a 6-5 lead, Andrews ran down an overhead shot and lobbed the ball over the head of Belcora, who was unable to return it, to seal the victory. Andrews would go on to win the second set 6-1 to take the match.

“What I liked about Max was that he was able to really settle into patterns and not give [the opponent]anything at that point,” Piric said.

Troy’s only point came when Amer Bedwan defeated Dane Dunlap in three sets.

Miami tennis will next host Mississippi State at 3 p.m. on Friday.

Wyatt Geller

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...