Sports, Tennis

Miami finishes strong to beat Troy University 6-1

After a defeat to North Florida last week, the University of Miami noticeably came out with more competitive fervor against Troy on Saturday afternoon. The Hurricanes took a commanding 6-1 victory to improve to 2-1 on the year.

“We executed under pressure,” Hurricanes Coach Aljosa Piric said.  “We just played a little tougher during the critical points.”

The Canes started the day by dominating in doubles play. Jesse Flores and Max Andrews won 6-1, and the tandem of Piotr Lomacki and Nile Clark was victorious 6-2.

Lomacki led the way in singles competition with tight 6-3, 6-4 victories.

“I did not feel too comfortable out on the court today,” Lomacki said. “I definitely didn’t play my best, but I played with what I had in order to win.”

Christian Langmo struggled early against the speedy Hassan Ndayishimiye but was able to come back and take his match.

“I came out a little bit slow, but I came out in the second set, lifted my energy up and lifted my game up,” Langmo said.

The biggest moment of the match came when Max Andrews found himself trailing in the first-set tiebreaker 5-3 against Troy’s Mustafa Belcora. After settling down and winning three-straight points to claim a 6-5 lead, Andrews ran down an overhead shot and lobbed the ball over the head of Belcora, who was unable to return it, to seal the victory. Andrews would go on to win the second set 6-1 to take the match.

“What I liked about Max was that he was able to really settle into patterns and not give [the opponent]anything at that point,” Piric said.

Troy’s only point came when Amer Bedwan defeated Dane Dunlap in three sets.

Miami tennis will next host Mississippi State at 3 p.m. on Friday.

Wyatt Geller

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...