Community, Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Frost student Ben Hon records demos over sabbatical, returns ready to perform

Ben Hon sits with his acoustic guitar. // Photo courtesy Ben Hon

While most students enjoy their majors, only some are lucky enough to be able to say that their major and life’s passion are one in the same.

Among the latter is Ben Hon, a junior majoring in music business and entertainment industries in the Frost School of Music.

“It’s the most fun major I think you can have. I love the life, and every time I’m driving to school I feel like I’m living the dream,” Hon said.

While Hon’s primary musical focus is singing and songwriting, he considers himself a jack-of-all-trades. Beginning with piano lessons at the age of 6, he went on to add clarinet, stand-up bass and classical guitar to his repertoire before attending Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington D.C. prior to successfully auditioning for Frost.

What makes Hon’s music unique is the driving force behind it, his other major passion, travel.

“I tried to count how many countries I’ve been to since I was a little kid, but there are so many, it’s hard to remember,” Hon said.

Some of his most recent adventures include Malaysia, Costa Rica and Peru, each of which inspired one of his songs. However, this fall semester held a different kind of trip for Hon: a sabbatical from school, spent recording demos and refocusing on his dreams in his isolated, rural Virginia home.

“Being here [at UM], I felt like I started to get away from what I originally wanted to be doing, so I took the time off,” Hon said. “I was thinking about what I wanted, and I realized … it could all be done. If I take a semester off, I can literally do this, this, this, this and check everything off I needed to do.”

Hon’s sabbatical resulted in an album’s worth of  written songs, demos and plans to record a full-length project, form a complete band and perform live in Miami, with hopes of one day touring the world and combining his passions of music and travel.

“The goal is – see the world with my best friends,” Hon said.

With big plans and even bigger odds, Hon is competing not only with a litany of other alternative rock artists influenced by the likes of The Strokes and The Killers, he’s competing with his classmates.

However, Hon isn’t dissuaded by competition. He stressed that the Frost School of Music has an atmosphere of collaboration and support.

“There’s definitely competition, but it’s friendly. At least more than most places, I would imagine,” Hon said.

Hon plans to perform around Miami and promote his new music online soon. Until then, stay up to date with Hon’s SoundCloud (soundcloud.com/benhon) and Facebook (facebook.com/benhonmusic/).

Jon Vilardi

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...