Community, Edge, Food, Movies, Music

Celebrate being single on Valentine’s Day with local events

Photo courtesy Flickr user Molly DG

For some singles, Valentine’s Day can feel like a knife to the heart. For others, it’s just the day before raiding CVS for half-off chocolate.

Fortunately, Valentine’s Day can be just as fun for those who aren’t in a relationship. Spending this Hallmark holiday in Miami gives singles a plethora of opportunities to attend events and enjoy discounts on food.

If you’re single this V-Day, don’t stay home and pout. Round up your friends and celebrate your independence at any of these events, from Friday until Tuesday.

For the music lovers:

Research has shown that music can lift your mood, boost your happiness and reduce anxiety. There’s no better way to shake the Valentine’s Day funk. Take a trip to the beautiful Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for a live performance by jazz singer Nicole Henry in the garden. Plus, it’s BYOB. Tickets are $30 for students with ID.

5:30–9 p.m. Feb. 14

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

10901 Old Cutler Road

For the film addict:

Take a Netflix night in and turn it into a night out at The Standard’s one-of-a-kind sleep-in cinema. Put your expert binge-watching skills to good use and have a laugh at all the best and corniest rom-coms, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “Pretty in Pink.” There’s no need to move from your comfy position because snacks and drinks will be brought right to your bedside. Tickets start at $50.

Showings at 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. Feb. 10-12

For the foodie:

Trade the empty calories from chocolate hearts and candy kisses for a decadent chocolate raspberry tart, red velvet cake and chocolate strawberry marble mousse at STK Miami’s Love Bites Party. Bring your squad along and indulge in fine food and complimentary drinks at one of Miami’s best steakhouses. Josh Murray from “The Bachelorette” will host the event.

5–10 p.m. Feb. 14

STK Miami

1100 Biscayne Blvd.

For the spiritual:

Valentine’s Day can be the reminder you need to stop looking for someone else and look inside yourself. Take the day to recharge with three of Miami’s most famous yoga teachers and psychic mediums, learning about therapeutic yoga and Reiki while also receiving a reading from a medium. Tickets are $150.

2–5:30 p.m. Feb. 12

Flying Lizard Boutique

14761 Biscayne Blvd.

Shellie Frai

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Manny Diaz’s first spring as the coach of the Miami Hurricanes is in the books, and he finished it o ...

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...