Community, Edge, Food, Movies, Music

Celebrate being single on Valentine’s Day with local events

Photo courtesy Flickr user Molly DG

For some singles, Valentine’s Day can feel like a knife to the heart. For others, it’s just the day before raiding CVS for half-off chocolate.

Fortunately, Valentine’s Day can be just as fun for those who aren’t in a relationship. Spending this Hallmark holiday in Miami gives singles a plethora of opportunities to attend events and enjoy discounts on food.

If you’re single this V-Day, don’t stay home and pout. Round up your friends and celebrate your independence at any of these events, from Friday until Tuesday.

For the music lovers:

Research has shown that music can lift your mood, boost your happiness and reduce anxiety. There’s no better way to shake the Valentine’s Day funk. Take a trip to the beautiful Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for a live performance by jazz singer Nicole Henry in the garden. Plus, it’s BYOB. Tickets are $30 for students with ID.

5:30–9 p.m. Feb. 14

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

10901 Old Cutler Road

For the film addict:

Take a Netflix night in and turn it into a night out at The Standard’s one-of-a-kind sleep-in cinema. Put your expert binge-watching skills to good use and have a laugh at all the best and corniest rom-coms, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “Pretty in Pink.” There’s no need to move from your comfy position because snacks and drinks will be brought right to your bedside. Tickets start at $50.

Showings at 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. Feb. 10-12

For the foodie:

Trade the empty calories from chocolate hearts and candy kisses for a decadent chocolate raspberry tart, red velvet cake and chocolate strawberry marble mousse at STK Miami’s Love Bites Party. Bring your squad along and indulge in fine food and complimentary drinks at one of Miami’s best steakhouses. Josh Murray from “The Bachelorette” will host the event.

5–10 p.m. Feb. 14

STK Miami

1100 Biscayne Blvd.

For the spiritual:

Valentine’s Day can be the reminder you need to stop looking for someone else and look inside yourself. Take the day to recharge with three of Miami’s most famous yoga teachers and psychic mediums, learning about therapeutic yoga and Reiki while also receiving a reading from a medium. Tickets are $150.

2–5:30 p.m. Feb. 12

Flying Lizard Boutique

14761 Biscayne Blvd.

Shellie Frai

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...