UM must ensure housing expansion does not alienate commuters

The City of Coral Gables’ Development Review Committee is currently considering UM’s proposed plan to build new on-campus student housing. This plan aims to create a stronger sense of campus community life and activity for the residents of the university and interest more students to live on campus.

Expanding housing on campus will be beneficial for the university by making UM more appealing to prospective students and help grow our Cane family. The amenities that this new facility will include will foster an environment that will help students become more involved and engaged with their classmates and fellow residents.

However, this proposed plan left some commuters like myself wondering if this was the start of UM’s push toward being a traditional non-commuter school in the future. As a commuter, one of the most attractive aspects of UM is its ability to mix students from different places and walks of life in one thriving school. The combination of commuters and non-commuters is very important to our intellectual and social growth as a community, and it helps to set us apart from other universities across the country. This mix allows for Miami natives to show other students all that this ethnically diverse city has to offer. Additionally, the non-commuter students teach us about their own campus cultures and customs as well.

The university’s unique blend of students shows that we are an inclusive, accepting group of people looking to learn from one another, and this is only possible when we give importance to the entire student body. I believe the expansion of on-campus housing will have positive effects on the university as a whole, but the university needs to make sure it does not isolate its commuter students.

My hopes are that a new parking lot will be constructed for commuters, and that a new connection will be made between Merrick and Dickinson Drive to allow for a smoother flow of traffic that commuters have to deal with on a daily basis. I hope that these new plans for the campus will not drastically change our commuter and non-commuter dynamic, and perhaps even strengthen it by promoting the prosperity of both student communities.

Nicole Macias is a freshman majoring in English.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user radcliffe dacanay

Nicole Macias

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...