Edge, Music, Television

Veterans, newcomers strike balance in upcoming Grammy Awards

While there aren’t many good things to say about 2016, it’s difficult to deny that last year was packed with great musical releases. On Feb. 12, some of the best songs, albums, artists and performances will be recognized during the 59th Grammy Awards ceremony at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. James Corden of CBS’s “The Late Late Show” will host.

While the list of nominees this year is stacked, the list of artists that will perform at the ceremony is equally impressive. Not only are there stars from a wide range of genres, but many of them will be sharing the same stage, such as legendary hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest joining forces with soul singer Anderson Paak and rocker Dave Grohl. The list goes on to include iconic names like Alicia Keys, the Weeknd with Daft Punk, Adele, John Legend, Bruno Mars, Metallica, Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban.

When it comes to the awards themselves, this year’s nominees include a balance of veterans and newcomers alike. For Record of the Year – in which the artists’ performances on each song are taken into consideration along with the overall contributions of producers and engineers – we have a smattering of hits that include Adele’s “Hello,” Beyoncé’s “Formation,” and Twenty One Pilots’ “Stressed Out.”

What should win Record of The Year?

• "Hello," Adele (67%, 2 Votes)
  • "Formation," Beyoncé (33%, 1 Votes)
  • "7 Years," Lukas Graham (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Work," Rihanna feat. Drake (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Stressed Out," Twenty One Pilots (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

The Song of the Year category, focusing only on the songwriters, has Justin Bieber’s “Love Yourself,” Mike Posner’s “I Took a Pill in Ibiza” and Lukas Graham’s “Seven Years” among the competition.

What should win Song of The Year?

• "I Took A Pill In Ibiza," Mike Posner, songwriter (Mike Posner) (67%, 2 Votes)
  • "Formation," Khalif Brown, Asheton Hogan, Beyoncé Knowles and Michael L. Williams II, songwriters (Beyoncé) (33%, 1 Votes)
  • "Hello," Adele Adkins and Greg Kurstin, songwriters (Adele) (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Love Yourself," Justin Bieber, Benjamin Levin and Ed Sheeran, songwriters (Justin Bieber) (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "7 Years," Lukas Forchhammer, Stefan Forrest, Morten Pilegaard and Morten Ristorp, songwriters (Lukas Graham) (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Nominations for Album of the Year are fairly varied this time around, with Adele’s “25,” Beyoncé’s “Lemonade,” Justin Bieber’s “Purpose,” Drake’s “Views” and Sturgill Simpson’s “A Sailor’s Guide To Earth” all making the cut.

What album should win Album of The Year?

• "Lemonade," Beyoncé (67%, 2 Votes)
  • "Purpose," Justin Bieber (33%, 1 Votes)
  • "25," Adele (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Views," Drake (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "A Sailor's Guide To Earth," Sturgill Simpson (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Equally fierce is the Best New Artist category, which features more seasoned artists just getting some significant recognition, like Chance the Rapper, Anderson Paak and The Chainsmokers, as well as some truly fresh faces such as Kelsea Ballerini and Maren Morris.

Who should win Best New Artist?

• Chance The Rapper (67%, 2 Votes)
  • The Chainsmokers (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Kelsea Ballerini (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Maren Morris (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Anderson .Paak (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Beyond that, there is a huge array of talented artists nominated within their specific genres, like Flume for Best Dance/Electronic album with “Skin,” David Bowie for Best Rock Performance with “Blackstar” and Gallant for Best Urban Contemporary Album with “Ology.”

Regardless of taste, there’s something to please every viewer during the 2017 Grammy Awards. Tune in to CBS at 8 p.m. Feb. 12 to catch all of the great artists and categories, and see if your favorite artists go home with a trophy.

Jon Vilardi

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...