Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sprinters lead Hurricanes in Meyo Invitational

The Miami Hurricanes track and field sprinters dominated at the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame over the weekend.

Miami is now home to the second-fastest women’s 4x400m relay team in the country. Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Michelle Atherley and Shakima Wimbley won the event, clocking in at 3:31.88 – the second fastest in school history.

Wimbley secured first place in the women’s 200m, smashing an 11-year-old meet record with a time of 23.19 seconds.

Sophomore Isaiah Taylor won the 60m dash with a personal-best time of 6.77 seconds to crack the UM all-time top five in the event.

Senior Ebony Morrison ran a season-best 8.17 seconds in a third-place finish in the women’s 60m hurdles.

In long distance, Gabrielle Hesslau broke the school record in the women’s 5000m with a time of 16:51.38. She previously set the record in the ACC Indoor Championships last season. Sean Grossman set a school record in the men’s 5000m – the time of 14:41.46 broke the record set nearly a decade ago.

Carlos Mangum led the way in field events, throwing a season-best 21.22m to finish second in the men’s weight throw.

The teams previewed the environment of the upcoming ACC Indoor Championships.

Miami will next compete at the Tiger Paw Invitational at Clemson University on Friday and Saturday.

Chloe Harrison

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...