Blogs, Culture Shock

Culture Shock: Authenticity with a side of trdelnik

Trdelnik cooking at a stand on the Old Castle Stairs. Annie Cappetta // Contributing Photographer

Culture Shock is a blog that analyzes the experiences, from awkward to awe-inspiring, of moving abroad for a semester as junior Annie Cappetta studies in the Czech Republic.

As I endeavor to describe what moving to another country is like, certain adjectives come to mind. Without a doubt, the most commonly used words of my first week of study abroad – by students, professors and program coordinators alike – have been “authentic” and “touristy.”

“Don’t eat anywhere on Old Town Square, it’s so touristy.”

“You need to get some authentic Czech goulash.”

“Czech people don’t actually eat trdelnik, it’s just a touristy thing that blew up, so there’s a bunch of stands now.”

What makes these statements so difficult to discern is that every restaurant, bar and attraction will describe itself as “authentic.” Yet, I have had at least three bowls goulash that seemed to all be completely different substances. You also have to place judgement on whoever is recommending according to their authority and intentions.

As millennials, we care a lot about authenticity, but let me tell you a secret – trdelnik is delicious! No wonder tourists love it. Who wouldn’t love pastry dough covered in cinnamon sugar and crushed almonds slow roasting on a charcoal stove when it’s -5 degrees (that’s Celsius, people) outside? Slather some nutella on the inside or pack in mounds of gelato, and it’s even more delicious!

The reason I’ve heard that Czechs don’t eat trdelnik is that it’s overpriced. But when “overpriced” in the Czech Republic means $8 for a full meal and a beer instead of $4, then bring on any delicious creations of this country, even the touristy ones!

And in the end, isn’t learning to discern for yourself part of the authentic experience of moving abroad? I’ve already eaten goulash in enough restaurants to know which ones have the authentic smoky, slightly sweet, buttery sauce that drowns chunks of supremely tender beef, and which sell pedestrian ground beef stew for double the price.

Junior UPrague student Carlee Grubbs holding a dish of goulash and dumplings at Hostinec U Dvou slunců. Annie Cappetta // Contributing Photographer

The feeling of accomplishment and connection that comes with learning that on my own is one that could not be replicated by strictly following a list of recommendations. When traveling, the only authenticity I’m going to care about is my own. As long as I can eat something that I enjoy and get a feel for the city through organic trial-and-error experiences, I really don’t care what others have to say about the authenticity of my time.

Annie Cappetta

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...