Edge, Movies, Music

Oscar nominations feature Miami-grown ‘Moonlight,’ ‘La La Land’ leads pack

The 89th Academy Awards are set to take place on Sunday, Feb. 26, but the precursory Oscar buzz is already in full effect. Announced on Jan. 24, this year’s list of nominees is packed with fan favorites and under-the-radar hits alike, making for an exciting – if not difficult to predict – set of potential winners.

Among the nominees for Best Picture is “Moonlight,” the indie hit based on former UM faculty member Tarell Alvin McCraney’s play, “In Moonlight Black Boys Look Blue.” Alongside “Moonlight” are some of the past year’s most critically acclaimed dramas, including “Fences,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “Hacksaw Ridge” and “La La Land.” “La La Land” leads the pack with an all-time record of 14 nominations, tied with “All About Eve” (1950) and “Titanic” (1997). Also on the esteemed list of nominations for Best Picture are sci-fi hit “Arrival,” “Hell or High Water,” “Hidden Figures” and “Lion.”

What film should win Best Picture?

• "La La Land" (50%, 4 Votes)
  • "Moonlight" (25%, 2 Votes)
  • "Arrival" (13%, 1 Votes)
  • "Manchester by the Sea" (13%, 1 Votes)
  • "Fences" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Hacksaw Ridge" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Hell or High Water" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Hidden Figures" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Lion" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 8

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

The Actor in a Leading Role category is populated by many of the stars of these films, such as Denzel Washington, Casey Affleck, Andrew Garfield and Ryan Gosling. Previously nominated once before, Viggo Mortensen is also up for the Oscar for his role in “Captain Fantastic.” As for Actress in a Leading Role, we see some veterans with Meryl Streep and Natalie Portman, as well as newcomers like Ruth Neega and Isabelle Huppert. Emma Stone rounds out the category, nominated for her role in “La La Land.”

Who should win Actor in a Leading Role?

• Casey Affleck, "Manchester by the Sea" (67%, 2 Votes)
  • Ryan Gosling, "La La Land" (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Andrew Garfield, "Hacksaw Ridge" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Viggo Mortensen, "Captain Fantastic" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Denzel Washington, "Fences" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Who should win Actress in a Leading Role?

• Natalie Portman, "Jackie" (67%, 2 Votes)
  • Emma Stone, "La La Land" (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Isabelle Huppert, "Elle" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ruth Negga, "Loving" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Meryl Streep, "Florence Foster Jenkins" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

Categories for Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Writing (Adapted Screenplay), Writing (Original Screenplay) and Directing are once again comprised of contenders for Best Picture. Some notable exceptions to this are Michael Shannon’s nomination for Actor in a Supporting Role in “Nocturnal Animals” and “The Lobster” for Writing (Original Screenplay), with former Oscar-winner Mel Gibson and former Oscar-nominee Dennis Villeneuve both competing for Directing for “Hacksaw Ridge” and “Arrival,” respectively.

This year’s selections for Animated Feature Film includes two Disney flicks with “Moana” and “Zootopia,” as well as “Kubo and the Two Strings,” “My Life as a Zucchini” and “The Red Turtle.” As for Short Film (Animated), we get a little more esoteric with “Blind Vaysha” and “Piper” being nominated. “Ennemis Intériurs” and “La Femme et le TGV” are nominated in the Short Film (Live Action) category.

What film should win Animated Feature Film?

• "Zootopia" (60%, 3 Votes)
  • "Kubo and the Two Strings" (20%, 1 Votes)
  • "Moana" (20%, 1 Votes)
  • "My Life as a Zucchini" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "The Red Turtle" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 5

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

When it comes to music, “La La Land” is at a definite advantage with a nod for Music (Original Score) while also having two different tunes in the Music (Original Song) category, “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)” and “City of Stars.” In the more technical categories, we see an appearance by “Rogue One,” nominated for Visual Effects, and “Suicide Squad,” nominated for Makeup and Hairstyling.

Which film should win Music (Original Score)?

• "La La Land" (100%, 4 Votes)
  • "Jackie" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Lion" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Moonlight" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "Passengers" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 4

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

What song should win Music (Original Song)?

• "How Far I'll Go," "Moana" (50%, 2 Votes)
  • "Can't Stop The Feeling," "Trolls" (25%, 1 Votes)
  • "City of Stars," "La La Land" (25%, 1 Votes)
  • "Audition (The Fools Who Dream)," "La La Land" (0%, 0 Votes)
  • "The Empty Chair," "Jim: The James Foley Story" (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 4

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

What film should win Visual Effects?

• Doctor Strange (67%, 2 Votes)
  • The Jungle Book (33%, 1 Votes)
  • Deepwater Horizon (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Kubo and the Two Strings (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 3

Polls Archive

Loading ... Loading ...

To see all of the categories and contenders for this year’s Academy Awards, head to the official Academy Awards website. Regardless of whether or not your favorite films made the cut, this year’s Academy Awards will be packed with the usual glamour and surprises. See which of these many fantastic films take home the Oscar at 7 p.m. Feb. 26 on ABC.

Featured image courtesy the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Jon Vilardi

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...