Trump uses intentional distractions to hide dangerous actions

On the first full day of Trump’s presidency, Sean Spicer gave his first press conference as White House Press Secretary. What he said set the tone for his relationship with the press and the public at large. He could have spoken about Trump’s first actions as president or his plans for his first week. Instead, he chose to berate the press, using false evidence, or “alternative facts,” to accuse them of inaccurately covering the size of the inauguration crowd. Three days later, Trump took to Twitter to gripe that voter fraud cost him the popular vote – without providing any evidence to support his claim. The media were beside themselves. All they could talk about for days was Trump’s disregard for the truth and his inability to focus on more important issues.

The media and the millions of people that voted against Trump felt vindicated. It was his first week and Trump had already managed to prove his incompetence. Meanwhile, Trump was putting pen to paper, significantly influencing many key issues. He signed an executive order that began the unwinding of Obamacare, withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and signaled a desire to renegotiate NAFTA. He halted the sending of aid to any foreign non-government organizations that provide or advocate for abortion rights. He disallowed refugees from entering the country. He put a hold on EPA scientists being able to release their scientific findings.

Yet, throughout all of this, the media and general public’s outrage continued to focus on Trump’s war with the truth. There was little mention of how Trump sought to eliminate Obamacare without a replacement plan on hand. Little focus was placed on how he has failed to provide specifics for how he would like to reform our trade agreements and how the vague ideas he has put forth are entirely nonsensical.

Trump managed to escape public outrage for the truly moronic actions he took in the first week of his presidency. Inauguration crowds and the popular vote do not matter. Health care, trade agreements and climate science do matter, but the media’s focus was not on these issues. The media were not wrong when they said Trump was an ignorant fool for not believing basic facts. But this is exactly Trump’s strategy: let the media call him an idiot, for as long as they are focusing on issues of little consequence, Trump will continue to tear this country apart, and absolutely no one will be there to stop him.

Ryan Steinberg is a freshman majoring in political science.

Ryan Steinberg

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...