Edge, Music, Television

Lady Gaga, Luke Bryan to perform at Super Bowl LI

The New England Patriots will take on the Atlanta Falcons at NRG Stadium on Sunday in Houston, Texas, for Super Bowl LI. While there’s undoubtedly a great game in store, football is only part of the fun, with Lady Gaga set to perform what’s sure to be a halftime show for the ages.

Before that, Luke Bryan will perform the national anthem before this year’s big game. He’ll be joining a storied roster of artists who have been bestowed that honor, with names ranging from Beyoncé to Billy Joel, and even Lady Gaga herself who delivered her own stellar rendition just last year.

As for the main event, it seems as though Lady Gaga is striving for a performance that will truly stand out, even in comparison to recent superstar headliners like Coldplay, Bruno Mars and, of course, Katy Perry and the famous Left Shark. There were reports that Gaga hoped to sing from the roof of NRG Stadium, but, due to obvious safety concerns, it’s likely that she’ll make do with a stage. Regardless, the singer has said, “I’ve been planning this since I was four” during a behind-the-scenes video by Pepsi, so there’s little doubt she’s got something special in mind.

Of course, it wouldn’t be 2017 without a little political controversy. Lady Gaga made it no secret that she was not a Trump fan this past election year, and it was rumored that the NFL “forbade” her from mentioning the now-president during the performance. Whether or not she chooses to comply with this purported rule is to be seen.

With a set of about five songs, the question comes up as to what music the “Poker Face” singer will choose to play from her extensive catalog. Having released her country and acoustic-tinged album “Joanne” in late 2016, there’s a solid chance the world will be hearing some newer material. But with Gaga saying that her number one priority is “for the show to be great,” there will most likely be some of her older hits worked in as well.

Make sure and tune in to FOX at 6:30 p.m. EST this Sunday to catch the game and musical performances.

Jon Vilardi

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...