Community, Edge, Music

Rathskeller concert to feature alternative pop group Smallpools

After a year hiatus, Hurricane Productions (HP) is bringing back the Rathskeller concert. This year, the student organization is catering to alternative pop fans. After a week of anticipation, HP Concerts revealed today that Smallpools will perform.

To create buzz for the return of the Rat concert, the HP Concerts social media accounts teased the concert by posting 5 “UClues” for the past week. The captioned photos hinted at the artist by alluding to song titles and lyrics.

As a prize for playing along, HP Concerts promised a meet and greet pass for the first person to guess the correct artist. On Facebook, it only took two days for a student to figure it out. Ernest Barrall commented “Smallpools” on a picture of a mason jar. “Mason Jar” is the title of one of the group’s songs off its self-titled EP, released in 2013.

HP Concerts typically brings rap, hip-hop and EDM artists to campus, so the choice of Smallpools diverges from this trend. “This year we decided on Smallpools because they are a popular alternative act,” said Kyle Gordon, the chair of HP Concerts. “I personally believe that it has been a couple years too many since we have booked an alternative act at our schools.”

An indie-pop band based out of Los Angeles, California, Smallpools’ music is reminiscent of Walk the Moon, and the group’s radio single “Dreaming” is frequently mistaken for Passion Pit.

The band has performed on many college campuses, most recently at University of Iowa. The band members are known for being energetic live, once throwing blow-up killer whales into the crowd while performing, appropriately, the song “Killer Whales.”

When asked about the band, most students either seem not to have heard of Smallpools or just know the group’s current radio single.

“I don’t know them that well, I only know ‘Dreaming.’ I’m curious to hear their other songs other than the one on the radio,” said Jenn Gamarra, a junior biomedical engineering student.

Gordon said that HP Concerts believed the Rat would be the perfect venue for the concert. “According to our polls, the students who prefer alternative music are not in the majority, so we feel that a more intimate venue like the Rat, which holds 800, will be the perfect space to hold this show and satisfy these students.”

For students that aren’t familiar with Smallpools, an intimate concert right on campus will give them the opportunity to broaden their music horizons. And for students who are alternative pop fans, they’ll be right at home, getting a break in the routine from usual rap, hip-hop or EDM performance artists.

This year’s Rathskeller concert will be held 8:30-11 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25 at the University of Miami Rathskeller on the Coral Gables campus. Free tickets will be given out in the breezeway starting Wednesday, Feb. 1.

For more information on the Rathskeller concert and HP Concerts, follow HP Concerts’ updates on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

Kelsey Stern

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...