Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Super Bowl LI – Legends vs. Newcomers

We tend to forget any player that is picked 199th in the NFL Draft. There is one man who drastically stands out and does not go by that definition. This was seen in the draft in 2000 when the New England Patriots selected Michigan QB Tom Brady.

Going 1-for-3 passing with six yards in his rookie season showed he was taking that year to learn behind formal four-time pro bowler Drew Bledsoe.

Nearly 17 years have passed and Brady has a chance to win his fifth Super Bowl title, which would give him the most Super Bowl wins ever as an NFL starting quarterback.

The Patriots square off against the high-flying offense of Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl LI on Sunday, Feb. 5 in Houston, Texas.

Ryan received the NFL’s most valuable player award over Brady by a slim margin of voting, 24-20. Here is my main reason why.

If we were talking about a Falcon flying in the air in this case, it would fly in a deadly accurate straight line: Ryan threw for 38 touchdowns and only seven interceptions, but more importantly, had an astonishing 117.1 quarterback rating, the fifth best QBR of all time, according to pro-football-reference.com.

The Falcons, defeated in its only Super Bowl appearance in 1998, come in as the challengers with the best offense in the league, averaging 33.8 points per game.

While many could expect a shootout where the winner could hit 40 points, I do not see that happening.

Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia has been a genius in dissecting opposing teams’ offenses.

The Patriots’ run defense has been remarkable all year and gave up only 53 yards on the ground against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC championship, despite running back Le’veon Bell going out with an injury in the first half.

However, you can expect Jones to get around 10 receptions and a touchdown, as he will get a handful of targets. Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler, who made the famous interception at the one yard line against the Seahawks in the Super Bowl two years ago to secure the win, is slated to be the one matched up against Jones.

Not only was it a memorable play, but it was also Butler’s first career interception, according to ESPN. If you think that statistic is crazy, it gets even better.

Out of 109 pass attempts from the one-yard line during the the entire 2014 NFL season, only one was intercepted, and that was by Butler.

Although the Patriots offensive line is playing incredibly and the depth at all positions is quite solid, Brady has showed no signs of slowing down at age 39, and he could play another two or three years before retiring in my opinion.

I predict this game going to the Patriots, 27-20.

Wyatt Geller

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...