Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Shakima Wimbley notches record-setting performance at McCravy Memorial Invitational

After setting the fifth-fastest time in collegiate history in the women’s 300m dash at the Virginia Tech Invitational, senior sprinter Shakima Wimbley won the women’s 400m dash with a time of 51.28 seconds at the McCravy Memorial Invitational meet at the University of Kentucky. This was the highlight of a successful weekend for Canes.
USC junior and Pembroke Pines native Kendall Ellis challenged Wimbley in the first of 10 heats in the event, but the reigning ACC Performer of the Week came away with the win. Wimbley set the NCAA and world-leading time in her performance.
The meet featured 10 ranked men’s and women’s teams, including the No. 14-ranked Hurricanes women’s team. Nearly 40 First-Team All-Americans from the 2016 season competed in the talent-stacked meet.
“I went out and executed my race,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “I listened to my coach and I was confident enough to follow through. We both knew if I put it together right that I’d do well and I did just that.”
Wimbley joined Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis and Erin Ford to compete in the first of five heats in the women’s 4x400m relay. Miami went toe-to-toe against USC and Baylor in a host of lead changes. The Trojans, Bears and Canes finished 1-2-3 in the heat and overall, and boasted the three best relay times in the nation. Miami’s time of 3:33.43 ranks fifth in school history.
In the women’s 3000m, Gabrielle Hesslau broke the longest standing record in school history with a time of 9:47.06. Diana Adams initially set the record in 1990. Hesslau smashed it by over one second.
Sophomore Michelle Athlerley won the women’s pentathlon. The Auburn transfer’s score of 3,984 points is the second best in UM history. Teammate Amy Taintor finished in third place with 3,804 points.
Kristina Knott now ranks in the top five in school history for the women’s 60m. Her time of 7.31 seconds earned her third place in a loaded field of 2016 All-Americans and nationally-ranked sprinters. Ahead of Knott were Kentucky’s Javianne Oliver and Texas’ Teahna Daniels, who ran the top-two times in the country.
In women’s field events, Erika Voyzey jumped a personal-best 1.78m to finish third in the high jump. Twins Amanda and Emily Gale tied for the second-best pole vault in school history at 3.95m.
The men had highlights at McCravy as well. Henri Delauze won the men’s 400m dash with an indoor personal-best 47.42 seconds. The time ranks third in school history.
Carlos Mangum was the top collegiate athlete in the men’s weight throw, finishing second with a throw of 20.87m. Andy Fryman of FASTraining edged Mangum for the win by 0.24m.
UM will be back in action at the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame on Feb. 3-4.

Chloe Harrison

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...