Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Shakima Wimbley becomes first Hurricane to be named NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) have named senior sprinter Shakima Wimbley the NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week. She is the first Miami Hurricane to receive the recognition.

“I’m speechless,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “Though the season is just starting, all the hard work and determination I put in this preseason is showing. I’m truly grateful and honored to receive this award.”

Wimbley is also the ACC Women’s Indoor Track Performer of the Week for the second consecutive week. She has earned the honor six times in her career.

Last Saturday, the sprinter ran the 14th-fastest 400m dash in collegiate history at the McCravy Invitational at the University of Kentucky. The time of 51.28 seconds is the fastest in the NCAA and in the world this year.

The women’s track and field team continues to stay in the national rankings. Improving on its No. 14 ranking from last week, Miami is now No. 13 in the country. This is the highest the team has been ranked in an indoor season in eight years – the Canes were No. 12 in the nation during the 2009 National Championship meet.

Wimbley and the Hurricanes will continue on their quest to defend their ACC Indoor Championship title. Their next meet is the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame on Feb. 3-4.

Chloe Harrison

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...