Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Shakima Wimbley becomes first Hurricane to be named NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) have named senior sprinter Shakima Wimbley the NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week. She is the first Miami Hurricane to receive the recognition.

“I’m speechless,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “Though the season is just starting, all the hard work and determination I put in this preseason is showing. I’m truly grateful and honored to receive this award.”

Wimbley is also the ACC Women’s Indoor Track Performer of the Week for the second consecutive week. She has earned the honor six times in her career.

Last Saturday, the sprinter ran the 14th-fastest 400m dash in collegiate history at the McCravy Invitational at the University of Kentucky. The time of 51.28 seconds is the fastest in the NCAA and in the world this year.

The women’s track and field team continues to stay in the national rankings. Improving on its No. 14 ranking from last week, Miami is now No. 13 in the country. This is the highest the team has been ranked in an indoor season in eight years – the Canes were No. 12 in the nation during the 2009 National Championship meet.

Wimbley and the Hurricanes will continue on their quest to defend their ACC Indoor Championship title. Their next meet is the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame on Feb. 3-4.

Chloe Harrison

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...