Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Shakima Wimbley becomes first Hurricane to be named NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) have named senior sprinter Shakima Wimbley the NCAA Division I Women’s National Athlete of the Week. She is the first Miami Hurricane to receive the recognition.

“I’m speechless,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “Though the season is just starting, all the hard work and determination I put in this preseason is showing. I’m truly grateful and honored to receive this award.”

Wimbley is also the ACC Women’s Indoor Track Performer of the Week for the second consecutive week. She has earned the honor six times in her career.

Last Saturday, the sprinter ran the 14th-fastest 400m dash in collegiate history at the McCravy Invitational at the University of Kentucky. The time of 51.28 seconds is the fastest in the NCAA and in the world this year.

The women’s track and field team continues to stay in the national rankings. Improving on its No. 14 ranking from last week, Miami is now No. 13 in the country. This is the highest the team has been ranked in an indoor season in eight years – the Canes were No. 12 in the nation during the 2009 National Championship meet.

Wimbley and the Hurricanes will continue on their quest to defend their ACC Indoor Championship title. Their next meet is the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame on Feb. 3-4.

Chloe Harrison

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...