Sports, Tennis

Canes suffer losses in close matches, fall to North Florida Ospreys 4-2

After dominating St. John’s in a 4-0 sweep on Friday, the Canes struggled against North Florida on Sunday afternoon, losing 4-2. It was their first defeat of the Spring 2017 season.

The afternoon began with three competitive doubles matches, all of which went down to the wire. Miami’s pairing of juniors Nile Clark and Piotr Lomacki kicked things off by winning its lone set, 7-5, in a grind against North Florida’s Jefta Kecic and Yannick Zuern.

Meanwhile, UM’s duo of sophomore Dane Dunlap and junior Christian Langmo fought to the end but came up short against UNF’s Jonathan Deautriell and Sahil Deshmukh, losing 7-6 in a set that called for a tiebreaker. Likewise, Canes seniors Max Andrews and Jesse Flores also fell into a tiebreaker, unable to get momentum going throughout their match against the No. 12-ranked tandem of Jack Findel-Hawkins and Lasse Muscheites. All three of the doubles matches were hard-fought, with the pairs often alternating wins until one finally prevailed.

“Overall, I was happy with our doubles effort,” Canes Head Coach Aljosa Piric said. “It came down to a couple tiebreakers; we lost both of those. Credit to North Florida for taking the first point.”

It was more of the same in singles play. Only Polish junior Piotr Lomacki, ranked No. 86 in the world in singles competition, was able to dominate his match. He defeated Findel-Hawkins, ranked No. 51, in two short sets (6-1, 6-1). The other singles matches were highly contested, but the close losses buried the Canes.

“When you are playing very close matches, it comes down to a few points – critical points,” Piric said. “We just have to get better at those, better at embracing pressure and stepping up in pressure moments.”

That was the story of the match for Miami – the inability to close out tight sets.

UM will have some time to prepare for Troy University, who it will face at noon on Saturday, Feb. 4 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Lior Kozai

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...