Sports, Tennis

Canes suffer losses in close matches, fall to North Florida Ospreys 4-2

After dominating St. John’s in a 4-0 sweep on Friday, the Canes struggled against North Florida on Sunday afternoon, losing 4-2. It was their first defeat of the Spring 2017 season.

The afternoon began with three competitive doubles matches, all of which went down to the wire. Miami’s pairing of juniors Nile Clark and Piotr Lomacki kicked things off by winning its lone set, 7-5, in a grind against North Florida’s Jefta Kecic and Yannick Zuern.

Meanwhile, UM’s duo of sophomore Dane Dunlap and junior Christian Langmo fought to the end but came up short against UNF’s Jonathan Deautriell and Sahil Deshmukh, losing 7-6 in a set that called for a tiebreaker. Likewise, Canes seniors Max Andrews and Jesse Flores also fell into a tiebreaker, unable to get momentum going throughout their match against the No. 12-ranked tandem of Jack Findel-Hawkins and Lasse Muscheites. All three of the doubles matches were hard-fought, with the pairs often alternating wins until one finally prevailed.

“Overall, I was happy with our doubles effort,” Canes Head Coach Aljosa Piric said. “It came down to a couple tiebreakers; we lost both of those. Credit to North Florida for taking the first point.”

It was more of the same in singles play. Only Polish junior Piotr Lomacki, ranked No. 86 in the world in singles competition, was able to dominate his match. He defeated Findel-Hawkins, ranked No. 51, in two short sets (6-1, 6-1). The other singles matches were highly contested, but the close losses buried the Canes.

“When you are playing very close matches, it comes down to a few points – critical points,” Piric said. “We just have to get better at those, better at embracing pressure and stepping up in pressure moments.”

That was the story of the match for Miami – the inability to close out tight sets.

UM will have some time to prepare for Troy University, who it will face at noon on Saturday, Feb. 4 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Lior Kozai

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...