Community, Edge, Music, Travel

‘Singing Uber Driver’ adopts stage name, releases single

Uber driver Daynel Artiles uses flashing lights and his vocal talents to create a musical experience for his riders. Hunter Crenian // Staff Photographer

Daynel Artiles is not your average singer or Uber driver. Instead, he combines both activities in a unique way. Artiles pairs his musical talent with bright, flashing lights in his car, creating an experience for riders that falls somewhere between “Cash Cab” and a nightclub.

Since The Miami Hurricane last spoke with the singer dubbed “The Singing Uber Driver,” Artiles has kept busy honing his music career. He adopted the stage name Artdayn and has been promoting his dark R&B single, “OXD,” released in December.

Emotion plays a big part in Artiles’ art. “I plan to be an influence in people’s life due to the deep and meaningful messages in my songs. I write about what goes on around me and about what I have lived through in the past,” Artiles said.

From having struggled in poverty in Cuba and his mother’s inability to work due to mental illness once moving to the United States, there’s no shortage of personal experiences from which to draw. Regardless, Artiles’ outlook is still positive.

“‘OXD’ is a smiley face that describes me, because I am always smiling,” Artiles said. “The song is saying that no matter what happens in the world, I’ll keep on smiling and being myself, like I’ve always done all these years.”

Artiles credits his father with guiding him into the world of music as early as when Artiles was five years old. Artiles would sing Gospel music at his church and study clarinet in school. His influences range widely, from pop-superstars like The Weeknd and Lorde to metal bands such as Disciple as Under Oath.

Artiles admits his songwriting process is “really unconventional.” He said that the melody comes first, followed by the lyrics and, finally, the instrumentals.

Artiles collaborates with Producer Armando Doval at EpicDigital for the recording, mixing and mastering of his tracks.

“[Armando] likes what is known as Epic Sound [an online audio production company used in TV and film],” Artiles said about his signature sound. “That’s the type of sound that I love to use in my music, because it’s immersive. I’m glad I found someone with the same taste.”

While many up-and-coming artists lack self-confidence, Artiles shoots for the stars.

“I do hope for fame and recognition in the future,” he said. “If more people listen to my music, more people will be influenced and touched by it. More people will feel connected and related to it.”

As for his future plans, Artiles has much in store.

“I plan to keep promoting myself through the platforms that I have available,” Artiles said. “I will go back to school and study something related to music and sound. I feel that this is just the first step and there’s more to come.”

Perhaps there’s even an underlying career in film here.

“Daynel starred in one of my films for school, and brought his charismatic, outgoing personality, [shining]a light onto my film,” said Danny Urkov, a junior psychology and motion pictures major.

Check out the official Artdayn YouTube channel to hear the music Artiles has released thus far, and keep up with his Facebook page, Artdayn, for updates on his upcoming projects.

Jon Vilardi

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...