Thanks, Obama: Remembering the 44th president for hopeful message

I was 12 years old the day of Barack Obama’s first inauguration. Through a campaign of hope and change, Obama galvanized tens of millions of citizens with promises of a better and more inclusive America. Although I was too young to vote or know much about politics, I felt just as optimistic as anyone else during the historic event.

I decided to stay home from school and watch the inauguration with my parents. We were enthralled by what he said to the nation following years of war and economic strife. My mother watched his inaugural address in tears, overjoyed by the prospects of a man that had quickly become a beacon of hope for so many immigrants across the nation. He spoke eloquently, commanding a sense of dignity and patriotism that filled us with hope.

In the small gaps of time between family life and school, I observed a rapidly changing world with the rest of the country in the news. I recall when the Affordable Care Act was passed. I recall seeing the country cheer when Osama bin Laden was killed. I recall seeing the country weep when 20 kids were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School. I recall the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling on same-sex marriage. I recall seeing protesters in the street when Michael Brown was killed in Ferguson.

The past eight years were productive and controversial, inspiring hope and political rancor from both sides of the aisle. There were several aspects of Obama’s vision that became reality, while certain issues were too sensitive to resolve. I was disheartened that immigration became one of the most contentious subjects on Capitol Hill, where the unwavering ire of nativism remains a stubborn force. Nevertheless, I appreciated the president’s efforts to speak for a minority group that has been neglected for too long.

In a country where millions are left in the dark under the constant threat of deportation, Barack Obama was the single strongest voice in the fight for comprehensive immigration reform. This is the Obama I’ve respected and admired for so long – an empathetic man who demonstrated time and time again how a true leader should act in the face of criticism and adversity.

Even after his party’s crushing defeat in the 2016 election, President Obama committed himself to assisting the new president in the peaceful transition of power. To me, that’s what class is all about. Thank you, President Obama. Thank you for giving me, along with tens of millions of people of all ages, a reason to hope.

Israel Aragon is a sophomore majoring in psychology.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Valar Mathi

Israel Aragon Bravo

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...