Basketball, Sports

Miami allows most points scored by opponent this season, drops contest to Wake Forest 96-79

Despite a career-high scoring effort from senior captain Davon Reed, a slow start doomed the Miami Hurricanes against John Collins and the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in a 96-79 loss on Wednesday night.

The Hurricanes (12-5, 2-3 ACC) came into the game allowing just 59 points per contest to the opponent. The Demon Deacons’ (11-7, 2-4 ACC) point total is the most allowed by the Canes this season.

Reed dropped 24 points, and a UM run cut the lead to six with 3:50 left in the game, but the offense could only flow in small stretches, and it was not enough. Miami’s first field goal didn’t come until 5 minutes into the contest, when a Ja’Quan Newton layup ended a 9-1 Wake Forest opening spurt. The Hurricanes would never lead in the ball game.

Collins led the Demon Deacons, who led by as many as 23, with 27 points and seven rebounds.

Miami began to pick up the energy after falling behind by over 20 in the second half. The team defense threw in some full-court press, causing Wake Forest turnovers that turned into Miami points. A Dewan Huell and-one layup capped a 15-3 run and cut the deficit to a mere 10 points with just under 13 minutes to play, but Wake Forest would come right back to increase its lead.

The same pattern prevailed over the final minutes: The Hurricanes would make a push to get the score within striking distance, and then the Demon Deacons would respond with a mini-run of its own.

The Deacs hit 58 percent of its shots, compared to just 43 percent shooting for the Canes.

UM looks to regroup quickly, as it faces arguably its toughest test of the season so far when the team takes on the No. 18 Duke Blue Devils at 8:15 p.m. on Saturday in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Justin Sobelman

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...