News, Obituaries

Candlelight vigil memorializes compassionate, innovative business student

Tahir Kurji

Tahir Alikhan Kurji died the night of Dec. 15 on the University of Miami Coral Gables campus at the age of 22. Kurji was an industrial engineering and economics major from Tampa, Fla.

He served on the executive board of Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity and was an administrative assistant at the university’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

UM Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely issued a statement the day after his death, calling Kurji a “bright and hardworking junior.”

“His former supervisor at Sylvester Cancer Center noted his terrific work ethic and that he was a wonderful person to be around,” the statement said.

On his LinkedIn summary, Kurji wrote, “Ultimately, my passion is to meld technology and business in order to make innovative advancements more accessible to consumers … I hope to one day be a business leader in the technology industry and I look forward to opportunities to show what I am capable of in the future.”

His fraternity brothers in Alpha Kappa Psi called Kurji an “extraordinarily amazing person” in an online statement. Friends remembered him on social media, celebrating his compassionate and engaging nature.

“Tahir was the heart and soul of Alpha Kappa Psi,” wrote junior Sammy Schneider. “Whether you knew him for a semester or for years, he treated all of his brothers/friends with endless compassion and love.”

UM alumnus and friend Scott Rose noted on Kurji’s Facebook timeline, “There are few with influence and passion as strong as which you possessed.”

In 2014, Kurji launched his own “student-run, start-up venture,” Canes Student Services, to “sell ease-of-mind” to UM students, according to his LinkedIn profile. The service provided students with laundry service, gift and care package delivery and marketing services to “make the college experience easier and more enjoyable for students.”

More than one hundred friends, professors and other members of the UM community gathered on the Lakeside Patio on Wednesday to pay tribute to Kurji’s legacy by sharing stories about their friend and lighting candles to remember how the “candle of the soul” could not be extinguished with death.

For students in need of grief counseling or other assistance, counselors and chaplains are available. The Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511. Whitely also recommended that students feel free to reach her office at 305-284-4922.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...