News, Obituaries

Candlelight vigil memorializes compassionate, innovative business student

Tahir Kurji

Tahir Alikhan Kurji died the night of Dec. 15 on the University of Miami Coral Gables campus at the age of 22. Kurji was an industrial engineering and economics major from Tampa, Fla.

He served on the executive board of Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity and was an administrative assistant at the university’s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

UM Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely issued a statement the day after his death, calling Kurji a “bright and hardworking junior.”

“His former supervisor at Sylvester Cancer Center noted his terrific work ethic and that he was a wonderful person to be around,” the statement said.

On his LinkedIn summary, Kurji wrote, “Ultimately, my passion is to meld technology and business in order to make innovative advancements more accessible to consumers … I hope to one day be a business leader in the technology industry and I look forward to opportunities to show what I am capable of in the future.”

His fraternity brothers in Alpha Kappa Psi called Kurji an “extraordinarily amazing person” in an online statement. Friends remembered him on social media, celebrating his compassionate and engaging nature.

“Tahir was the heart and soul of Alpha Kappa Psi,” wrote junior Sammy Schneider. “Whether you knew him for a semester or for years, he treated all of his brothers/friends with endless compassion and love.”

UM alumnus and friend Scott Rose noted on Kurji’s Facebook timeline, “There are few with influence and passion as strong as which you possessed.”

In 2014, Kurji launched his own “student-run, start-up venture,” Canes Student Services, to “sell ease-of-mind” to UM students, according to his LinkedIn profile. The service provided students with laundry service, gift and care package delivery and marketing services to “make the college experience easier and more enjoyable for students.”

More than one hundred friends, professors and other members of the UM community gathered on the Lakeside Patio on Wednesday to pay tribute to Kurji’s legacy by sharing stories about their friend and lighting candles to remember how the “candle of the soul” could not be extinguished with death.

For students in need of grief counseling or other assistance, counselors and chaplains are available. The Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511. Whitely also recommended that students feel free to reach her office at 305-284-4922.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...