Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘Manchester by the Sea’ stuns with stellar cast, slice-of-life moments

If viewers watched “Manchester by the Sea” with the same level of attention given to the latest video game-based blockbuster, viewers might be inclined to walk away from the 137-minute film, claiming the slow-paced story and chilly New England backdrop were boring. And, well, that would be a shame. The heights to which this gorgeous piece elevates the “slice of life” feature is nothing short of skyscraping, as it is packed with performances, photography and writing that are all so awe-inspiring they make the lengthy run-time and gradual pacing of the film something to be savored.

The film is set primarily in the titular New England town, capturing the type of nuanced-yet-complex local idiosyncrasies that producer Matt Damon and star Casey Affleck – both Massachusetts natives – experienced firsthand. Director and writer Kenneth Lonergan’s adeptness at bringing this microcosm of Northeastern existence to life on the big screen is stunning, with a rock-solid story that is overtly human, occasionally shocking and thoroughly emotional. However, laughing plays just as big a role as crying does in this viewing experience.

“Manchester by the Sea” follows Affleck as Lee Chandler, a somber, hotheaded janitor working in Boston, Massachusetts, who suddenly finds himself back in his hometown of Manchester-by-the-sea when his brother Joe dies of a heart attack, leaving him to look after his 16-year-old nephew, Patrick. Beautifully enough, that’s about the extent of the plot.

Of course, things happen, with seamless switches between past and present giving stunning reveals and textured insight into Chandler’s past relationships and present struggles.

Yet, things don’t happen in such a way that could be easily diagrammed on the Three-act structure diagram handed out to students on the first day of screenwriting class. Instead, the audience gets a collection of scenes – personal moments ranging from quirky to devastating – that come together to create story in one of its purest forms.

A film of this nature needs stellar performances to live up to its own potential. Fortunately, the entire cast of “Manchester by the Sea” is near-flawless. Casey Affleck’s interpretation of the role of Lee Chandler is on another level of acting entirely, as he seamlessly assumes the character’s identity. Affleck expresses a full range of stormy emotions while only uttering a few words.

The supporting cast is oozing with chemistry and individual talent, from Michelle Williams as Lee’s ex-wife Randi, to Lucas Hedges as his nephew Patrick and Kyle Chandler as Joe Chandler. Years of pain are expressed among the actors in mere glances, with the same pain dissolving in moments of witty, laugh-out-loud dialogue.

The critical acclaim and award nominations for “Manchester by the Sea” are nearly unanimous, making for a shining example of a film that nearly everyone can agree is excellent. This is a movie worth watching, pondering and remembering.

Rating:  4.5/5 stars

Jon Vilardi

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...