Administration, News

Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc to become next president of George Washington University

Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc

Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc will leave the University of Miami to become president of George Washington University, starting Aug. 1. The announcement was made in a message from UM President Julio Frenk.

“Tom has been a great partner and friend throughout my presidency, starting from his service as interim president prior to my arrival. Although we will miss him, we are very proud of this new recognition of his accomplished career,” said Frenk in an e-Veritas newsletter.

President Frenk will work with the Faculty Senate and the Board of Trustees to form a search committee to find LeBlanc’s successor.

Since his appointment in 2005, LeBlanc served as the chief academic officer and chief budget officer for UM. He oversaw and coordinated academic programs, research administration and funding, student affairs, admissions, and expenditures throughout UM’s 11 schools and colleges. LeBlanc also played a role in mapping out President Frenk’s “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative.

During his tenure, UM witnessed new building projects at the Coral Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. LeBlanc was fundamental in the founding of new institutes and centers at UM, such as the Center for Computational Science and the Office of Civic and Community Engagement.

At the same time, LeBlanc, who holds a Ph.D in computer science from from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, was a professor in the departments of computer science, electrical and computer engineering.

“The University of Miami has given me so much more than I could ever hope to repay, through the professional opportunities and close friendships developed over the past 12 years. My wife and I have grown to love the university, the city of Miami, and the wonderful people of South Florida,” said LeBlanc in the e-Veritas newsletter. “As we look forward with excitement to the tremendous opportunity at George Washington University, we will leave with many fond memories, warm friendships, and pride in the progress that we have all forged together. Go ‘Canes!”

Sherman Hewitt

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...