Art, Community, Edge

Mural painted outside local art supply store causes controversy

Ivan De Lucia and Atomiko’s mural, painted on the side of De Lucia’s art supply store, was cited by a local official. // Photo Courtesy Ivan De Lucia

Art is in Ivan De Lucia’s genes. Born in Gainesville, Florida, and raised in Valencia, Venezuela, the 36-year-old grew up around artists and the tools of the trade, as his parents founded a paint factory. After moving back stateside to get his bachelor’s degree, De Lucia enlisted the help of his family to open i.d. art Supply & Custom Framing, an art supply store with one location on Biscayne Boulevard and another on South Dixie Highway, right across the highway from UM’s campus.

In light of the difficult social, economic and political climates of the past year, De Lucia decided to use his store as a canvas, enlisting the help of Miami artist Atomiko to paint the pictured mural on the side of i.d. art.

“We decided to paint something to cheer people up, with a mural that reflected the brightness and beautiful colors that identify Florida, and the strength and success of the Miami Hurricanes,” De Lucia said about his choice of what to feature in the mural.

Unfortunately, the City of Coral Gables was not as impressed with the mural as many viewers have been. De Lucia first received a citation from Code Enforcement Officer Amparo Quintana. Then, after seeking approval that would allow the mural to stay up, De Lucia was displeased by the tone in which a city architect referred to the mural, calling it “art” in facetious quotes. In the same email correspondence between Quitana, De Lucia and the architect, the architect went on to say he was not aware of any code that would permit the mural to be displayed.

As it stands, the City of Coral Gables has requested that De Lucia erase the mural completely by Dec. 31, 2016, or face a $500-per-day penalty until he does so.

Considering the hard work and good intentions that went into the artwork, De Lucia is upset that he is being forced to remove it. The fact that the mural does not directly face U.S. 1 and that it was referred to sarcastically made him feel the city is out-of-touch with the mural’s message.

“It will be erased forever,” De Lucia said. “[But] in its moment, it served as a rewarding sign to the community. So, for that, we are grateful.”

While the grim future of i.d. art’s mural is likely irreversible, the spirit in which it was conceived and created by De Lucia and Atomiko is certainly not. For now, the mural is still visible at 1132 South Dixie Highway. And, even though the wall currently inhabited by these smiling oranges will soon be white again, De Lucia has no plans of stopping his effort to bring together artists to create future projects.

Jon Vilardi

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...