Basketball, Sports

Miami defeats Wofford 74-57 in HoopHall Miami Invitational

Freshman forward Dewan Huell (20) jumps above a Wofford player during the Hurricanes’ 74-57 win Saturday at the Hoophall Invitational in the AmericanAirlines Arena. Josh White // Staff Photographer

Junior guard Ja’Quan Newton tallied 15 points and 9 assists, redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy finished with a double-double and the Miami Hurricanes soundly handled the visiting Wofford Terriers 74-57 on Saturday evening at the AmericanAirlines Arena.

Miami started out the contest on a 26-6 burst in the first nine minutes, highlighted by intense defensive effort and hot shooting. Senior guard Davon Reed started the game off well, stripping Wofford’s Fletcher Magee and coolly knocking down a three-pointer on the other end. Sophomore center Ebuka Izundu was engaged from the tip as well, muscling in two and-one layups and smoothly dropping in a lefty hook during the run for seven of his eventual nine points.

Wofford’s Cameron Jackson attacked the rim early and often and was the Terriers’ main consistent source of buckets, continually bullying his way into the teeth of the Hurricanes defense to finish strong. He closed with 16 points and was the only Wofford player to hit more than half of his field goals.

After the hot start, Miami got sluggish and Wofford’s shot attempts began to drop, as the Terriers cut the deficit to just eight near the end of the half. That’s when the Canes’ leaders stepped up: Reed hit a tough runner to beat the shot clock, and Newton knocked down a mid-range pull-up off a great attack through the Terriers double team just before the halftime buzzer to lead Miami to a 36-24 advantage going into the break.

The Terriers blitzed the Hurricanes out of the locker room with a 7-0 run to tighten the gap. That would be the closest they would come to an upset, as emerging freshman guard Bruce Brown chipped in with eight points, including two threes, and a couple of steals to help Miami recapture its double-figure advantage.

Murphy’s 14 points was a career-high and Newton finished with a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Reed stepped up as a secondary distributor, finishing with four assists to complement his 11 points and three steals. He played hounding defense on Wofford leading scorer Fletcher Magee, who finished shooting just 4-11 on the night. 

The Canes held a double-digit lead for the last 12 1/2 minutes and walked off the floor with the victory. The Hurricanes look to win its third straight game when the team welcomes South Carolina State to Coral Gables. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the Watsco Center.

Justin Sobelman

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...