Art, Community, Dance, Edge, Music, Theater

Weekend Watch 12/1: ‘An Act of God,’ Art Basel, The Nutcracker, Riptide, Frost Winter Wonderful

“An Act of God”

The GableStage Theater at the Biltmore will be playing this Broadway comedy that originally starred Jim Parsons of “The Big Bang Theory” fame. The one-man show tackles themes of homosexuality, evolution and Christianity. Visit gablestage.org to purchase tickets, starting at $15 for students.

8 p.m. Dec. 1-3, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 4. Showings until Dec. 18.

1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla.

Art Basel

Art Basel, Miami’s most famous art exhibition, boasts more than 269 modern and contemporary art galleries with work from more than 4,000 artists. Come by for free browsing or purchase tickets to exclusive shows, exhibitions and concerts throughout the weekend. Tickets start at $50.

3-8 p.m. Dec. 1, noon to 8 p.m. Dec. 2-3, noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 4.

1901 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, Fla.

“The Nutcracker”

Get in the holiday spirit with the season’s favorite ballet. The South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center’s take on “The Nutcracker” features professional dancers from the Miami Youth Ballet. Tickets start at $25.

8 p.m. Dec. 2-3.

10950 SW 211th St., Miami, Fla.

Riptide Music Festival

This two-day music festival on Fort Lauderdale Beach features some of the biggest names in alternative and classic rock, from AWOLNATION and Silversun Pickups to The B-52’s and Earth, Wind & Fire. Tickets on sale now for one-day or two-day admission at riptidefest.com, starting at $49.

10 a.m. Dec. 3 to 9 p.m. Dec. 4

1100 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Haley Walker

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...