Art, Community, Dance, Edge, Music, Theater

Weekend Watch 12/1: ‘An Act of God,’ Art Basel, The Nutcracker, Riptide, Frost Winter Wonderful

“An Act of God”

The GableStage Theater at the Biltmore will be playing this Broadway comedy that originally starred Jim Parsons of “The Big Bang Theory” fame. The one-man show tackles themes of homosexuality, evolution and Christianity. Visit gablestage.org to purchase tickets, starting at $15 for students.

8 p.m. Dec. 1-3, 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 4. Showings until Dec. 18.

1200 Anastasia Ave., Coral Gables, Fla.

Art Basel

Art Basel, Miami’s most famous art exhibition, boasts more than 269 modern and contemporary art galleries with work from more than 4,000 artists. Come by for free browsing or purchase tickets to exclusive shows, exhibitions and concerts throughout the weekend. Tickets start at $50.

3-8 p.m. Dec. 1, noon to 8 p.m. Dec. 2-3, noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 4.

1901 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, Fla.

“The Nutcracker”

Get in the holiday spirit with the season’s favorite ballet. The South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center’s take on “The Nutcracker” features professional dancers from the Miami Youth Ballet. Tickets start at $25.

8 p.m. Dec. 2-3.

10950 SW 211th St., Miami, Fla.

Riptide Music Festival

This two-day music festival on Fort Lauderdale Beach features some of the biggest names in alternative and classic rock, from AWOLNATION and Silversun Pickups to The B-52’s and Earth, Wind & Fire. Tickets on sale now for one-day or two-day admission at riptidefest.com, starting at $49.

10 a.m. Dec. 3 to 9 p.m. Dec. 4

1100 Seabreeze Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Haley Walker

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...