Community, Edge, Music

Plan ahead for spring semester with major music concerts, festivals

Fall semester is quickly winding down. While everyone is excited for time off to celebrate the holidays, it’s never too soon to plan what festivities you’ll attend this spring. Miami is full of amazing music festivals, and the first half of 2017 will be packed with some of the year’s best. Here are events you won’t want to miss:

Art Basel, Miami Beach: Dec. 1-4, 2016

The Portal, a project of Shared Studios, gave Art Basel Miami Beach visitors a chance to sit in on a video call with international strangers and ask anything. Emily Dabau // Contributing Photographer

In 2015, The Portal, a project of Shared Studios, gave Art Basel Miami Beach visitors a chance to sit in on a video call with international strangers and ask anything. Emily Dabau // Contributing Photographer

Before we jump into next year, let’s start with an important honorable mention. As you may already know, Art Basel is a famous art fair that hosts all kinds of creations from around the world. What you might not know, though, is that there are dozens of concerts and musical events held at Art Basel, such as shows featuring James Blake and Young Thug, at 10 p.m. Nov. 30 and 10 p.m. Dec. 1, respectively, sponsored by III Points. Other shows are “Calvin Harris LIV Basel Edition,” at 11 p.m. Dec. 1 and “The Ritual” at 9:30 p.m. Dec. 3 at Chop Shop Wynwood, featuring Twelve’len, Austin Paul and more.

Rolling Loud Festival, Bayfront Park: May 5-7, 2017

If seeing Young Thug’s name caught your eye, then you should definitely check out this hip-hop festival, with line-ups known to be packed to the brim with some rap’s heaviest hitters. Performers at last May’s festival included Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, Young Thug, Ty Dolla $ign, Future, Kodak Black, 2 Chainz and more.

“It was good that Kodak Black stayed out of jail long enough to perform, because he put on a really amazing set,” said junior psychology major Eliot Parascandolo about his experience at the 2016 show.

While this year’s line-up has yet to be announced, it certainly won’t disappoint.

Ultra Music Festival, Bayfront Park: March 24-26, 2017

Armin van Buuren on the Ultra Main Stage Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Armin van Buuren on the Ultra Main Stage. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

This festival speaks for itself. As one of the premier electronic-music festivals on earth, Ultra never fails to wow attendees. A recent announcement of the first “wave” of performers included names such as Ice Cube, Major Lazer, Hardwell, DJ Snake and Steve Aoki.

When it comes to the festival’s vibes, junior business major Tyler Ragone has nothing but good memories.

“Ultra is great because you end up making 50 new friends in one day,” Ragone said.

Tickets are already on sale now, so hurry and grab tickets while you can.

Tortuga Music Festival, Fort Lauderdale: April 7-9, 2017

If hip-hop and E.D.M. aren’t quite your thing, and you’d rather jam out to some country on the beach while helping to raise awareness for marine conservation, look no further than Tortuga Music Festival. Some of country’s biggest superstars such as Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan, Chris Stapleton and Darius Rucker will perform at this year’s event.

Tickets are already available online. Should you decide that general admission isn’t quite exciting enough, you can always spring for the VIP package that includes free refreshments and access to special areas of the concert.

Jon Vilardi

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...