Edge, Music, Reviews

NxWorries’ “Yes Lawd!” uses pleasing but repetitive old-school formula

"Yes Lawd!"

Photo courtesy // Stones Throw Records

If you’ve been on Twitter recently, you’ve probably been implored to “name a more iconic duo” than a number of pop-culture pairings, from Obama and Biden to Kendall and Kylie. But NxWorries, a collaborative hip-hop and R&B project consisting of Los Angeles-based producer Knxwledge and neo-soul superstar Anderson .Paak, is making its push for the top spot with its new album, “Yes Lawd!”

Right off the bat, “Livvin” tells you everything you need to know about the 19 tracks you’re about to hear. It’s smooth, old school and soulful, with a heavily sample-driven beat, which is what you can expect throughout the entire 48-minute ride.

By the time “Best One” and “What More Can I Say” have passed, .Paak’s unabashed charm is already spilling from every nook and cranny of the music. He has a voice that never gets old and sings lyrics that always seem to have a surprise or two hidden in them.

“Lyk Dis,” despite having been a fairly successful single, marks the point in which boredom will set in if a smooth-to-death record isn’t exactly what you were in the mood to listen to. There’s nothing wrong with it exactly, but with the instrumental and lyrical content both being far less than spectacular, some monotonous tendencies begin to shine through.

Fortunately, “Get Bigger / Do U Luv,” another big single, does a great job of breaking the slump with a groove that makes you bob your head along to the beat. .Paak takes a confident look into the hustle that brought him success with ice-cold lines like, “At night, I workin’ grave, just counting the time. On my break I wrote a song ’bout the love of my life.”

“H.A.N.” is a feat in and of itself, with musical charisma taken to another level. A heavy dose of humor doesn’t detract from the music in the least, and a skit-like sermon from .Paak is nothing short of hysterical.

The album then makes its way to “Suede,” a song that introduced the world to NxWorries in the first place back in 2015. This song is the highlight the duo’s work thus far. The opening line, “Smoother than a motherf***er,” is the operative phrase here.

After “Suede,” the last six tracks on “Yes Lawd!” seem to serve as a funky-but-gradual fade out more than anything, with the only notable moments coming on “Sidepiece” and “Link Up.”

The album as a whole is funky, smooth, unapologetic and charismatic: a definite musical accomplishment. But, it’s also difficult to listen through from start to finish without having your ears glaze over at the homogenous sound. Old-school samples with minimalistic drums accompanied by strong, if not melodically safe, vocals comprise a tried-and-true formula, but 16 tracks of that in a row with little variation is almost a formula for sleep medication.

Rating: 3/5 stars

Jon Vilardi

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...