Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball falls to No. 21 Iowa State 73-56 in first loss of the season

Before the start of the season, Head Coach Jim Larrañaga said that the team was raw. It showed on Black Friday as the Hurricanes committed 19 turnovers in a 73-56 loss to the No. 21 Iowa State Cyclones in the semifinals of the AdvoCare Invitational.

After a competitive first half that had the two teams neck-and-neck, Miami (4-1) went flat on both ends in the second half, going scoreless for a six-minute stretch and getting outscored 38-27 in the period.

The Canes cut the deficit to two at the 13:53 mark of the second half with a layup from freshman guard Bruce Brown, but that would be the closest the team would get. The Cyclones (5-0) went on a 10-0 run from that point, and the Canes would not recover.

The Hurricanes struggled shooting from deep, which made all the difference offensively. Miami shot a measly 13 percent from three-point territory, while Iowa State shot 42 percent from long range.

Iowa State’s leading scorer Monte Morris was in foul trouble for the majority of the contest and only scored six points, but Miami could not take advantage, instead allowing guard Deonte Burton to score 21 points on 50 percent shooting.

A bright spot for the Canes was junior guard Ja’Quan Newton, who continues to show his growth as a player. Newton put up 21 points on 9-13 shooting, his second straight 20-plus point performance.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...