Basketball, Sports

Davon Reed, Ja’Quan Newton lead Miami past North Florida in a 94-56 win

Senior guard and captain Davon Reed made his 100th career game as a Hurricane count, scoring a game-high 17 points on 55 percent shooting to lead Miami to a 94-56 victory against North Florida on Wednesday night. This is the team’s first road win of the season.

For the second straight game, five Canes, including two freshmen off the bench, scored in double figures. Junior starting point guard Ja’Quan Newton dished out a career-high seven assists to go along with 16 points on 7-10 shooting.

The Hurricanes (2-0) jumped out to a quick 9-4 advantage and wouldn’t trail the entire contest. The team crashed the glass in the first half, grabbing 10 offensive rebounds amounting to 13 second-chance points. Miami extended its lead with a 20-10 run and ultimately closed out the half controlling the pace 48-20.

Coming out of the break, the Canes went on a 7-0 run, increasing the lead to 35. The team slowed the pace, but still shot lights-out in the second half, hitting 18 of its 31 shots. Behind 13 second-half points from freshman forward Dewan Huell, Miami would go on to close out North Florida (1-2). Huell finished with 15 points and eight rebounds.

The Canes shot 54 percent from the field while holding the Ospreys to just 34 percent shooting and 29 percent from beyond the arc.

Freshman guard DJ Vasiljevic showed off his shooting touch, knocking down three three-pointers on his way to 13 points.

The Hurricanes have an 87-point combined margin of victory in their first two games, the largest of any opening two-game span since the program re-launched in 1985.

Miami will next be in action against the University of Pennsylvania at 4 p.m. on Saturday at the Watsco Center.

Josh White

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...