UCape Town canceled due to violent political atmosphere in South Africa

The UCape Town program was canceled by the office of Study Abroad in the last days of October after months on end of student protests and violence in South Africa. The nationwide response erupted when there was a call to raise tuition by 8 percent, an amount that would significantly impact already-marginalized families.

The student protests escalated, and the country is now in a storm of firebombs, arrests and rubber bullets. Devika Milner, director of the Study Abroad office, said it was too big of a risk to send University of Miami students to the University of Cape Town, where the program is held, given the current climate.

“The safety and security of our students is paramount,” Milner said.

UM decided to cancel the spring 2017 semester of the program mainly because of the safety concerns, Milner said, but also because the University of Cape Town had not decided if it would continue classes in the spring and would not decide until Jan. 15.

The academic calendar of the University of Cape Town is completely different from that of UM, so students would be “academically stranded” if classes were canceled; it would be too late for the 10 students who were enrolled in the program to return to the Coral Gables campus.

“It was a heartbreaking decision,” Milner said.

Tatsumi Yanaba, a senior who switched to the Melbourne, Australia program after the UCape Town cancellation, said he was really seeking a cultural immersion of any kind, so he wasn’t too upset by the change.

“I want a global perspective,” he said. “I want to understand what it means to be a human on this planet.”

Mariah Robinson is far from her hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio, studying in France on a UM exchange program. Robinson, a junior majoring in international studies, was planning to be in South Africa in the spring because of her interest in sustainable development.

“I was hoping to intern with an NGO in that field, especially in Cape Town because it’s such an interesting city in terms of development work,” she said in a message. “So obviously I was really disappointed when the program was canceled. But I was able to switch to Sydney right away so that helped.”

The Study Abroad office was able to work with partner universities all over the world and offer spots on other programs to all 10 students whose Cape Town plans were canceled, Milner said, and most opted to go to Australia for the semester.

The UCape Town program, led by geography professor Richard Grant, was launched in spring 2013. This was the first time the Study Abroad office has canceled a program because of safety concerns although, Milner noted, there have been threats while students are abroad, such as during the Paris terror attacks last year.

“UCape Town is a phenomenal program,” Milner said. “I hope it doesn’t get students down about studying abroad.”

For more information about Study Abroad, visit miami.edu/studyabroad.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...