Columnists, Election 2016, Opinion, The Maturity Column

In Trump’s America, opinions are now facts

Welcome to the first edition of the Maturity Column: Fact Section.

With the election of Donald J. Trump to the Oval Office, we have now set a new president precedent that opinions are actually facts – and therefore the Opinion Section will now be referred to as the Fact Section.

Donald Trump, the man who has pinned President Obama as a foreign-born Muslim and Hillary Clinton as a prison-bound “nasty woman,” has become notorious for preaching his own thoughts and conceptions as legitimate truths – even though his opinions have more flip-flops than a freshman communal shower.

However, this is old news. Despite multiple fact checkers correcting his claims during the debates, the American people have voted him in – and I accept that. Which is why, for now on, I will be following our new leader, and shall rename this portion of the Hurricane, the Fact Section: where all opinions shall be accepted as absolute.

Usually, I can make whatever claim I want, since this is all just based on my thoughts – like when I debated if peeing in the shower was a deal breaker for relationships (note: I really did write that column, for some reason they let me). But now, this is hard-hitting, nitty-gritty journalism. So, let’s talk facts!

For example, did you know that Nickelback is statistically not a bad band? All the data my ears have collected portends that their songs don’t all “sound the same,” and it’s just that lead-singer Chad Kroeger’s voice only has one pitch – similar to the Muppet, Animal. I’m sorry if you disagree, but, again, these are all just facts.

Also, how about that sushi is an objectively vulgar collection of raw, slimy sea tongue, served with spicy, green Play-Doh? My own research shows that everyone urinates in the ocean, so, if you are eating uncooked fish, you are consuming toilet-tinis for dinner. Sorry to burst your bubble tea!

And, of course, we can’t forget that Five Guys and Shake Shack both have mathematically-proven over-priced beef. Their $7.00 burgers present a one-dollar-per-bite ratio, which, as per the Danny New Book of Beef, is below satisfactory standards for all Americans.

Now, this is usually the part where my editor, Annie, in all of her glory, will tell me that I can’t print this because I just exercised defamation and incorporated lies about a company to change people’s opinions. But hey, it’s just my opinion, which also just so happens to be fact.

So, thank you for reading, I know you enjoyed this – because I just said you did.

Danny New is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism. The Maturity Column runs alternate Thursdays.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user stux.

Danny New

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...