Sports, Volleyball

Haak, Strantzali lead Hurricanes volleyball to 3-1 victory over Boston College Eagles

The Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team claimed their second victory of the weekend in a 3-1 win against Boston College on Sunday afternoon. The Canes dominated the four-set match throughout and capped off a successful bounce-back weekend.

Sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak and junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali took over the game for Miami (13-15, 7-9 ACC). Haak finished her day with 18 points and 14 kills, while Strantzali recorded 14 kills of her own.

Haak jumpstarted Miami’s attack in the first set with a flurry of kills for which Boston College (8-18, 3-13 ACC) had no answer. Haak’s play fueled the Canes throughout the rest of the set, as others improved their play as time went on, particularly while serving. On its way to a commanding 25-15 first-set victory, Miami racked up multiple aces against the Eagles and ended the set with an impressive .522 hitting percentage.

Strantzali was the star of the second set, recording multiple kills at the start. With her help, the team tallied four blocks, which was a huge part of an overall strong defensive performance that was key to winning a close second set 25-21.

After dropping a back-and-forth third set, the Canes jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the fourth and didn’t look back. Haak’s and Strantzali’s continued dominant play combined with stout team defense guided Miami to an easy victory. The two racked up a total of seven blocks in the set, putting them at 15 for the match.

After controlling a combined six out of eight sets between their two matches this past weekend, the Canes will look to wrap up their last road trip of the season in similar fashion. The team will face off against Wake Forest at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Cody Brown

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...