Community, Edge

Book fair to host famous authors, offer variety of literary events

Miami Book Fair Internationals' weekend-long Street Fair starts Friday, Nov. 18, at the MDC Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami. Photo Courtesy Miami Book Fair

Miami Book Fair Internationals’ weekend-long Street Fair starts Friday, Nov. 18, at the MDC Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami // Photo Courtesy Miami Book Fair

The 32nd-annual Miami Book Fair International, hosted by Miami-Dade College, will officially commence on Sunday, Nov. 13. Deemed one of the largest literary festivals in the nation by many of its sponsors, the book fair aims to garner as many as 100,000 visitors this year based on statistics from previous years.

The Miami Book Fair was founded in 1984 by Miami-Dade College (MDC) Wolfson Campus and a number of independent bookstores as Books by the Bay, a two-day celebration of the literary arts where visitors are free to roam a number of pavilions designed to cater to all types of readers. By the 1990s, the street fair steadily grew to become the largest literary festival in the country, attracting massive crowds on an annual basis.

During this time of year, the streets of the MDC Wolfson Campus area are lined with colorful tents that feature works by hundreds of renowned national and international authors. Each of these authors will be appearing in the Festival of Authors, one of the many highlights of the widely anticipated weekend-long Street Fair where visitors are invited to hear writers talk.

This year, authors include Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, “The Daily Show” host Trevor Noah, LGBT activist Jim Obergefell, Mexican-born American journalist Jorge Ramos and “Maus” creator Art Spiegelman. These authors will host panels and discussions during the fair, and some of these authors will be open to questions and book signings.

Aside from catering to book lovers, the Miami Book Fair also offers an extensive list of programs and events. Some of the more popular programs include the Children’s Alley, a small hub that gives younger visitors the opportunity to engage in educational, kid-friendly activities and earn free books.

Children’s books, along with books intended for mature audiences, will be sold in booths surrounding the Children’s Alley. These booths, many of which will be unveiled during the weekend-long Street Fair, will be exhibited by notable bookstores, libraries, and publishers such as Books & Books, Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library and The Miami Herald.

The full list of booths and exhibitions, along with the Book Fair’s official schedule of author events, can be found on the official Miami Book Fair website, miamibookfair.com. The weekend-long Street Fair is set to start on Friday, Nov. 18, with author events starting as early as Nov. 13 at the MDC Wolfson Campus in Downtown Miami. Street Fair Admission is free but certain events require tickets. For more information, visit miamibookfair.com.

Israel Aragon Bravo

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...