Columnists, Election 2016, Opinion, Vantage Point

University of Miami student voters play special role in this election

Throughout this election we’ve heard cries of “the election is rigged,” “one vote doesn’t matter,” and “why even go through the trouble of voting.” Many people eligible to vote are sympathetic to those arguments and don’t buy the “sentimental” democratic idea that “every votes counts.”

However, if you are a University of Miami student reading this column: none of those arguments for apathy apply to you. Your vote matters, maybe more than any other vote in the country. Here’s why:

The State

We all know that Florida plays a particularly important role in the election as a swing state. But it’s not just a swing state, it is the swing state with by far the largest number of electoral votes. Nate Silver’s poll-aggregation site FiveThirtyEight released final election forecasts this morning, giving Clinton a 55.1 percent chance of victory in Florida, Trump 44.9 percent. This is the tightest margin of any state in the country. What that means right now is that Florida is the biggest prize still up for grabs, and just a handful votes here could determine the outcome.

The County

Miami-Dade is the most populous county in Florida, and it is primarily Democratic. However, in 2012, President Obama won the state of Florida with just 50 percent of the popular vote. In Miami-Dade, Obama garnered 61.6 percent of the county vote, which is solidly Democratic, but Obama’s share of the vote here ranked below his share in Gadsden, Broward and Osceola counties.

Even though Miami-Dade will be solidly blue, your vote still matters if you’re a Democrat because a slight increase in the margin of victory here could be difference between 49.9 and 50 percent statewide. The same goes for Republican voters. Although they may feel like an unheard minority, if they can just slightly lower the margin of Democratic victory in Miami-Dade, that could change the outcome of the statewide election.

The University

The millennial vote is important. Our generation is now the largest of any age group. For most UM students, this is the first presidential election in which we have been eligible to vote. We are a wildcard. Our voter history is unknown and our views often greatly diverge from the partisan norms established by baby boomers. This is the premier university in the most important county in the most important state in this election. We may not have an activist campus culture, but the voting bloc of students here will play an unpredictable, but critical role in who becomes the next president.

Your vote truly could be the difference in this election. You have about three hours left, go vote.

Annie Cappetta is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy and political science. 

Annie Cappetta

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...