Football, Sports

Former UM great Andre Johnson retires from NFL

Photo courtesy Flickr user Karen.

Photo courtesy Flickr user Karen.

Last week, former Hurricane wide receiver Andre Johnson retired from the NFL after a stellar 14-year career in the pros.

The Miami native enrolled in the University of Miami in 2000, where he ran track and played football. Johnson became a star wide receiver in the country. In his sophomore year, he led the Canes to its historic win against Florida State with five catches for 111 yards and two touchdowns, snapping FSU’s 10-year unbeaten home streak.

Johnson was later named co-MVP of the BCS National Championship Game, where he finished with seven catches for 199 yards and two touchdowns. The Hurricanes defeated the Nebraska Cornhuskers 37-14 to finish off an undefeated season and win the fifth national championship in school history.

In Johnson’s junior year, he started to attract attention from NFL scouts, becoming only the second player in Miami history to have more than 1,000 yards in one season (1,092). He caught 52 passes, leading the Big East in receiving yards and yards per game. Johnson also led the nation in yards per catch. After declaring for the NFL draft in 2003, Johnson was taken third overall by the Houston Texans.

With his combination of size and speed that was hard for any defensive back to contain, Johnson became an instant impact player for the Texans. He was selected to his first Pro Bowl in his second season in the league and was named to seven total Pro Bowls in his career. Johnson was selected as a first-team All-Pro in 2008 and 2009 and was also the NFL leader in receiving yards in both those years.

In his professional career, Johnson recorded 1,062 receptions (No. 9 all time), 14,185 receiving yards (No. 10 all time) and 70 receiving touchdowns (No. 40 all time). In 2014, he was inducted into the UM Sports Hall of Fame. Johnson’s consistent and standout career could potentially propel him into the NFL Hall of Fame sometime in the next few years.

Jabari Wilbon

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...