Football, Sports

Hurricanes have strong offensive half, lead Panthers 27-21

Through spurts of heavy rain, it was a half of offense for both teams. The Hurricanes are up on the Pittsburgh Panthers 27-21 after racking up 326 yards of total offense in the first two quarters combined.

Junior quarterback Brad Kaaya showed what he could do with time in the pocket, completing his first 13 passes. He dominated the half, completing 19 of his 28 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns. Kaaya even rushed in for a one-yard score late in the second quarter.

Miami came out of the gate running on Saturday afternoon with a six play, 75-yard touchdown drive that took just 2:14 off the clock. The drive was highlighted by two plays: a 41-yard Kaaya bomb to freshman receiver Ahmmon Richards to get the offense in the red zone and a 12-yard pass to junior tight end David Njoku who flipped into the end zone for the score.

The euphoria for Canes fans would not last long. On the following kickoff, Pittsburgh returner Quadree Henderson would not be touched as he flew 100 yards through poor Miami coverage to reach the end zone, thus tying the score at 7-7.

Miami would rebound, coming right back with an 11-play, 77-yard scoring drive that culminated in a Kaaya touchdown pass to senior wideout Stacy Coley. Kaaya lobbed up a perfect fade pass that allowed Coley to rise up and make a play, snagging the ball with both hands.

Defense was a struggle for both teams, with no sacks and only four tackles for loss combined in the entire first half.

The Panthers took the lead for the first time on a 23-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Nathan Peterman to fullback George Aston, but the Canes fired back with a 71-yard touchdown drive to get back in front.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...