Football, Sports

Hurricanes have strong offensive half, lead Panthers 27-21

Through spurts of heavy rain, it was a half of offense for both teams. The Hurricanes are up on the Pittsburgh Panthers 27-21 after racking up 326 yards of total offense in the first two quarters combined.

Junior quarterback Brad Kaaya showed what he could do with time in the pocket, completing his first 13 passes. He dominated the half, completing 19 of his 28 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns. Kaaya even rushed in for a one-yard score late in the second quarter.

Miami came out of the gate running on Saturday afternoon with a six play, 75-yard touchdown drive that took just 2:14 off the clock. The drive was highlighted by two plays: a 41-yard Kaaya bomb to freshman receiver Ahmmon Richards to get the offense in the red zone and a 12-yard pass to junior tight end David Njoku who flipped into the end zone for the score.

The euphoria for Canes fans would not last long. On the following kickoff, Pittsburgh returner Quadree Henderson would not be touched as he flew 100 yards through poor Miami coverage to reach the end zone, thus tying the score at 7-7.

Miami would rebound, coming right back with an 11-play, 77-yard scoring drive that culminated in a Kaaya touchdown pass to senior wideout Stacy Coley. Kaaya lobbed up a perfect fade pass that allowed Coley to rise up and make a play, snagging the ball with both hands.

Defense was a struggle for both teams, with no sacks and only four tackles for loss combined in the entire first half.

The Panthers took the lead for the first time on a 23-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Nathan Peterman to fullback George Aston, but the Canes fired back with a 71-yard touchdown drive to get back in front.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...