News Briefs 11/3: Homecoming, Election Day

Homecoming 

Alma Mater Finals – The Rock, 10:45 a.m.

Homecoming concert with D.R.A.M. and Marshmello – The concert will be held at the Watsco Center, formerly known as the BankUnited Center. Admission is free for students, tickets are required for entry. The concert is open to faculty, staff and alumni, but closed to the general public unless you have a guest ticket.

When: Doors open at 7 p.m. Concert will begin at 8 p.m. 

Homecoming Parade and Hurricane Howl – The parade, which runs across Merrick Drive and Stanford Drive, will showcase more than 40 student organizations. Hurricane Howl features food trucks, a block party, boat burning ceremony and fireworks, and will take place on Stanford Drive, Merrick Drive and around Lake Osceola, respectively. Admission is free.

When: Food trucks and block party at 6 p.m. Parade at 7 p.m. Boat burning ceremony will begin at 8:30 p.m, immediately followed by fireworks. 

Election Day 

Vote on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at your designated polling place. The Watsco Center, formerly the BankUnited Center, is a Miami-Dade County voting station.

Multiple Election Night watch parties will be happening around campus Tuesday night:

• Political science professors Joseph Uscinski, Casey Klofstad and Rudy Fernandez, who teach “The Election” class, will broadcast coverage from major networks on several large screens throughout the Watsco Center Fieldhouse.  Political analysts, special guests and live media coverage will be present. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m.
  • UM’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and the Division of Student Affairs will host a full day of events at the Rathskeller, beginning at 12 p.m. The watch party will begin at 9 p.m. 
  • There will also be an inflatable screen with the election night results Tuesday night on the Hecht-Stanford Bridge.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...