News Briefs 11/3: Homecoming, Election Day

Homecoming 

Alma Mater Finals – The Rock, 10:45 a.m.

Homecoming concert with D.R.A.M. and Marshmello – The concert will be held at the Watsco Center, formerly known as the BankUnited Center. Admission is free for students, tickets are required for entry. The concert is open to faculty, staff and alumni, but closed to the general public unless you have a guest ticket.

When: Doors open at 7 p.m. Concert will begin at 8 p.m. 

Homecoming Parade and Hurricane Howl – The parade, which runs across Merrick Drive and Stanford Drive, will showcase more than 40 student organizations. Hurricane Howl features food trucks, a block party, boat burning ceremony and fireworks, and will take place on Stanford Drive, Merrick Drive and around Lake Osceola, respectively. Admission is free.

When: Food trucks and block party at 6 p.m. Parade at 7 p.m. Boat burning ceremony will begin at 8:30 p.m, immediately followed by fireworks. 

Election Day 

Vote on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at your designated polling place. The Watsco Center, formerly the BankUnited Center, is a Miami-Dade County voting station.

Multiple Election Night watch parties will be happening around campus Tuesday night:

• Political science professors Joseph Uscinski, Casey Klofstad and Rudy Fernandez, who teach “The Election” class, will broadcast coverage from major networks on several large screens throughout the Watsco Center Fieldhouse.  Political analysts, special guests and live media coverage will be present. The event will begin at 6:30 p.m.
  • UM’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV) and the Division of Student Affairs will host a full day of events at the Rathskeller, beginning at 12 p.m. The watch party will begin at 9 p.m. 
  • There will also be an inflatable screen with the election night results Tuesday night on the Hecht-Stanford Bridge.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol