Community, News, Religious Life

UM Hillel stands with UVa Jewish community against anti-Semitic vandalism

UM Hillel published a statement earlier today standing in solidarity with the Brody Jewish Center Hillel at the University of Virginia condemning anti-Semitic vandalism that was graffitied on the side of a campus apartment complex over the weekend.

hillel-antisemitic_condemnation_letter

The vandals sprayed the Star of David and “juden,” the German word for Jews, on the building. This imagery was used to single out Jewish business owners during the Nazi terror leading up to the Holocaust.

“While we are deeply saddened and concerned by this anti-Semitic act, the University of Virginia has a strong and vibrant Jewish community. This act does not change that fact. Today, UVa is a welcoming and safe community for Jewish students, which makes this act all the more jarring. This type of hate has no place at our University,” the Brody Jewish Center Hillel wrote in a Facebook statement.

UM Hillel and Student Government (SG) published a letter on social media explaining the importance of the University of Miami community taking a stance on the issue.

“This is not an isolated incident, but one that follows a disturbing pattern of prejudice. The apathy and, at times, antipathy of students when it comes to anti-Semitism only adds fuel to the fire. We must recognize this for what it is: a hate crime,” wrote Hillel President Joey Newfeld and SG President Vikesh Patel.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...