Culture, Food

Add flavor to Halloween festivities with creative treat, drink ideas

Halloween is almost here and soon, spooky festivities will commence all over Miami.

Need some scary snacks for your ghoulish get-together? Have no fear, there are no tricks about these terrific treats.

Creepy-crawly Cookies

Spiders can be scary, but a chocolate spider on a cookie makes for a cute Halloween dessert. Bake the homemade or store-bought cookie dough of your choice, and then add a Reese’s cup to the top. Draw two circles with white icing on the cup to make eyes, then add in pupils and draw on spider legs with chocolate icing.

Boo-nana Pop

Since Halloween still feels like summer in Miami, cool off with a frozen boo-nana pop. Cut a medium banana in half, insert Popsicle sticks and freeze. Dip the banana pops into melted white chocolate (or vanilla yogurt for a guilt-free twist), put two chocolate chip “eyes” on each ghost and freeze again until ready to eat.

Rice Krispie Pumpkins

Create your own edible pumpkin patch with pumpkin Rice Krispies treats. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, then add a 10-ounce bag of marshmallows and enough orange food coloring to create the desired hue. Stir the marshmallows until melted, then remove from heat and add 6 cups of Rice Krispies. When the mixture has cooled, shape handfuls into a pumpkin shape, add a pretzel rod stem and a bit of green Airhead as a leaf.

Oreo Eyeball Truffles

Eerie Oreo eyeball truffles will have your guests howling for more. Combine a crushed package of Oreos with 8 ounces of cream cheese and refrigerate for 30 minutes. In the meantime, melt 12 ounces of white chocolate. Roll the Oreo mixture into balls, then dip in the white chocolate and quickly place a Lifesaver candy as the iris and a chocolate chip as the pupil of the eye. Then return to the fridge until hardened.

Ghastly Green Drink

Mix 2 liters of Sprite with a tub of lime sherbet. Scoop additional sherbet on top and pour more Sprite over them to create a foamy topping.

Bloody Beverage

Mix equal parts fruit punch, apple juice, cranberry juice and ginger ale.

Either option can easily be concocted for monsters of drinking age by adding the liquor of your choice. For extra gruesome fun, fill a plastic glove or Halloween mask with water and freeze to make a frozen hand or face to float in the punch, or surprise your guests with gummy worms frozen inside ice cubes.

Madelyn Paquette

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...