Football, Sports

Canes tied with Hokies 3-3 at the end of the first quarter

The crowd was heard loud and clear from the kickoff. Virginia Tech showed why Lane Stadium is known as one of the more hostile environments in the ACC.

The Miami offensive line continues to be an issue, not giving junior quarterback Brad Kaaya the adequate time in the pocket to find his receivers. Kaaya got sacked twice in the first quarter.

Both teams were able to move the ball down the field, however the only scores came on field goals. Hokies kicker Joey Slye made a 47-yard field goal at the 10:45 mark of the first period.

The biggest play for the Hurricanes came off an excellent wheel route ran by junior tight end David Njoku in which Kaaya hit him in stride with no one in front of him. Njoku ended up tripping and falling, leaving the play as a 48-yard reception. This happened during an eight play, 78-yard drive by Miami that led to a Michael Badgley field goal tying the game at three apiece.

Kaaya finished the period completing an efficient six out of eight passes for 90 yards, while Virginia Tech quarterback Jerod Evans threw for 43 yards on six of 10 passing. The Canes defense put pressure on the dual threat quarterback early on.

The score is 3-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...