Football, Sports

Canes tied with Hokies 3-3 at the end of the first quarter

The crowd was heard loud and clear from the kickoff. Virginia Tech showed why Lane Stadium is known as one of the more hostile environments in the ACC.

The Miami offensive line continues to be an issue, not giving junior quarterback Brad Kaaya the adequate time in the pocket to find his receivers. Kaaya got sacked twice in the first quarter.

Both teams were able to move the ball down the field, however the only scores came on field goals. Hokies kicker Joey Slye made a 47-yard field goal at the 10:45 mark of the first period.

The biggest play for the Hurricanes came off an excellent wheel route ran by junior tight end David Njoku in which Kaaya hit him in stride with no one in front of him. Njoku ended up tripping and falling, leaving the play as a 48-yard reception. This happened during an eight play, 78-yard drive by Miami that led to a Michael Badgley field goal tying the game at three apiece.

Kaaya finished the period completing an efficient six out of eight passes for 90 yards, while Virginia Tech quarterback Jerod Evans threw for 43 yards on six of 10 passing. The Canes defense put pressure on the dual threat quarterback early on.

The score is 3-3 at the end of the first quarter.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...