Sports, Volleyball

Miami volleyball sweeps Virginia Tech 3-0

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team swept ACC foe Virginia Tech on Sunday afternoon.

The Canes (8-12, 2-6 ACC) won in three straight sets 25-20, 25-19 and 25-19. The victory over the Hokies (8-11, 3-5 ACC) snapped a four-match skid for the Canes.

“I liked their composure,” Miami Head Coach José “Keno” Gándara said of his team’s performance. “I thought they played about the same from start to finish. We gave up some easy points in game one and we made some good adjustments. We have not done that well [this season], but I liked the way we played [today].”

Both teams went back and forth in the first set, but the Hurricanes edged out the Hokies thanks to dominating plays at the net. The Canes tallied 14 kills compared to the Hokies’ eight, along with a three to zero margin in blocks.

Miami took the momentum from its first set victory and controlled play to win the second set as well. Junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali led with 12 kills for the Hurricanes, while sophomore middle blocker Lucia Pampana added three kills and five blocks to give the team a 2-0 advantage heading into the intermission.

Miami came out of the break firing, led by sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak. Haak chipped in five kills in the final set. The Canes also combined for six blocks, completing the sweep of the Hokies.

“I feel like we’re working on the same stuff in practice every day,” Strantzali said following the team’s victory. “Game after game we show up a lot better than the last game. We played a lot better today than the last game against Pittsburgh.”

Miami posted a .315 hitting percentage while holding the Virginia Tech attack to a hitting percentage of .086. The Canes also totaled 14 blocks, the second best mark in program history in a three-set match.

Strantzali finished with 16 kills and hit .286, while also adding nine digs, five blocks and a team-high two service aces for Miami.

“Olga’s been great all year,” Gándara said. “We need to get some help from other kids. It was definitely nice to get Kolby [Bird], Lucia [Pampana] and Anna [Haak] going a little bit.”

Sophomore outside hitter Kolby Bird totaled a .375 hitting percentage, four kills and a dig while Haak added 10 kills, eight digs, two blocks and two assists. Pampana had a team-best eight blocks in addition to five kills.

Freshman setter Hannah Sorensen controlled the game for the Canes, dishing out 36 assists and adding two blocks and two digs.

Miami now sets its sights on arch-rival No. 15 Florida State at 7 p.m. on Wednesday at the Knight Sports Complex.

Josh White

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...