Hard Rock Stadium comes with benefits for game day experience

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross deserves high praise for contributing his own money to renovate Hard Rock Stadium. For the most part, the new additions and updates to the stadium have completely changed the atmosphere for the better, but there are still some improvements to be made. Without further ado, here are my expert opinions on the newly-renovated Hard Rock Stadium:

The canopy

This is a wonderful thing. As someone who experiences heat exhaustion after spending more than 10 minutes in direct sunlight but also refuses to miss a football game, it will save me much pain and suffering.

However, the canopy has a downside. Prior to the addition of the roof-like structure, the old Sun Life Stadium had a pretty decent breeze blowing through it. Now that the roof has partially enclosed the facility, the breeze is gone. As such, we’re saved from the heat but not from the stifling humidity that results from 60,000 bodies in a confined space. Before I can say I’m fully comfortable with the canopy, there needs to be some airflow.

The sound

The new and improved sound system coupled with the acoustics created by the canopy have resulted in a much louder, more intense atmosphere – which may make up for the lack of noise outside the stadium since Hard Rock instituted a “no speakers at tailgates” rule. Don’t worry. You all will survive the lack of blaring music in the frat field of dreams. I promise.

The old sound system had a maximum volume that was so low it was hard to effectively pump up the crowd by playing songs and sound effects. As such, this particular addition will contribute to a livelier atmosphere during the games.

The living room-like seating at the 50-yard line

Although I can’t currently benefit from the addition of this section to the seating options because I’m a broke college student, I have high aspirations of one day making enough money to sit there. We’ll see how it goes. But for now, I’ll be stuck envying the people who do sit there.

The concessions

They claim they’ve added a wider variety of places to eat and types of food available. Maybe it’s just because I’m an extraordinarily picky eater, but I haven’t noticed much of a difference in the concessions offered because I always end up getting a Papa John’s pizza. That’s on me. But for all you culinary adventurists out there, I hope you enjoy the range of concessions for those of us who refuse to try new things.

The renovations have had a positive impact on the game-time atmosphere and general satisfaction at the games, but there are definitely some improvements to still be made.

Dana McGeehan is a junior majoring in history and media management.

Dana McGeehan

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...