Election 2016, News

Voter registration deadline in Florida extended

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker extended Florida’s voter registration deadline on Wednesday to Tuesday, Oct. 18. The extension was granted after Hurricane Matthew blew through some coastal areas of the state last week, and after a preliminary extension of one day was added. For those leading the effort on campus to register students to vote, that means even more time to get as many students engaged as possible.

Monica Bustinza, president of the University of Miami’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV), said the organization already met its goal of registering 1,500 students since last September but with the added time, GOTV hopes to reach even more unregistered citizens.

GOTV will have a voter registration table at the Breezeway every weekday until Oct. 18 in order to make the most of the pushed deadline.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...