Election 2016, News

Voter registration deadline in Florida extended

U.S. District Judge Mark Walker extended Florida’s voter registration deadline on Wednesday to Tuesday, Oct. 18. The extension was granted after Hurricane Matthew blew through some coastal areas of the state last week, and after a preliminary extension of one day was added. For those leading the effort on campus to register students to vote, that means even more time to get as many students engaged as possible.

Monica Bustinza, president of the University of Miami’s Get Out The Vote (GOTV), said the organization already met its goal of registering 1,500 students since last September but with the added time, GOTV hopes to reach even more unregistered citizens.

GOTV will have a voter registration table at the Breezeway every weekday until Oct. 18 in order to make the most of the pushed deadline.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...