Football, Sports

Sam Bruce dismissed from football program

Freshman wide receiver Sam Bruce has been dismissed from the University of Miami football program after multiple violations of team rules and failure to meet the expectations established to be a part of the program.

Bruce, who had yet to play a snap in an actual game, had issues since the beginning of the season. According to the Miami Herald, after breaking his leg playing recreational basketball, Bruce reportedly lied to the university about what happened, telling coaches that it was caused by a biking accident. He had also shown up late to multiple rehab sessions.

Bruce’s mother, Tracye Wilkerson, told Canesport’s Matt Shodell that Bruce was afraid because he knew he was not supposed to be playing any sports outside of football. According to Wilkerson, being late for his own rehab was the last straw.

“He was warned and was late to therapy,” Wilkerson said. “That was it.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...